Research Engineer, Gas Research Centre
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
- Gas Research Centre has an opening for a Research Engineer position in the Catalysis Laboratory. Technical skills include operation of laboratory sized equipment for heterogeneous catalyst and solid absorbent testing. Thorough knowledge on materials and testing are needed with ability to design, execute and interpret experiments. Ability to coordinate the conception and construction of dedicated equipment, probably outside of the UAE, will be the main task right from the start. The successful candidate should be proficient in experimental methods, procedures, techniques and equipment used in industrial laboratories. It is imperative that the candidate has keen interest to perform complicated experiments him/herself.
- A key prerequisite of the successful candidate is a strong will to learn new skills and abilities
- Other preferred capacities include skills working with computers and control software and skills with electrical, electronic and mechanical equipment in general are desirable. As it is a collaborative project, mainly with the research facilities of Shell in Amsterdam (Netherlands), strong interpersonal skills are important; and it is key to be a team player. Also the willingness and ability to travel to European countries is crucial.
- Develop, maintain, monitor, execute and coordinate day-to-day operations of the lab.
- Ensure completion of installation and validation of new and upgraded test instruments and maintain record and documentation on relevant procedures.
- Perform the day-to-day demand and preventative maintenance and problem solving of test instruments
- Conduct characterization techniques for various materials that are used in oil and gas industry
- Participate in carrying our research work
- Provide technical support for the purchase of laboratory equipment and software
- Monitor and maintain an organized, clean and safe working environment in labs and ensure compliance with work related legal, health and safety standards
- Support in budget preparation by highlighting resource requirement
- Evaluate bids for technical acceptability of laboratory equipment and chemicals
Work closely staff from Gasco, both in office and in the field.
Candidates with a M.Sc. degree in materials science, chemical engineering or a closely-related field are preferred, but outstanding experienced candidates from similar positions with a B.Sc. degree will be considered as well. The successful candidate must have strong oral and written communication skills in English
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement