Research Engineer in Mechanical and Materials Engineering
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines The Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research and The Petroleum Institute into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University of Science and Technology endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE’s rapidly developing knowledge economy.
- To provide high quality research and support relevant to membrane desalination and processed water-oil separation project EX2016-000022 that externally funded by ADNOC. This job entails but not limited to the followings:
- Take a lead role in fabrication of the membrane using cutting edge laboratory electrospinning technology for membrane fabrication and with prior experience in using such equipment.
- Demonstrate good expertise level in electrospinning membrane fabrication through multiple parametric studies and configurations such as polymer alcohol mixture preparation and injection parameters (i.e. speed, mass flow/feed rate, tilting angle etc) and composite membrane fabrication.
- Use analytical tools for membrane assessment including contact angle, entry pressure, membrane mechanical properties, porosity and micro analysis to the membrane structure, pore and network.
S/he must have strong academic background in material and chemical engineering particular interest in thin membrane polymers. Materials or Chemical engineering MS degree or equivalent is required for this position.
- Excel and contribute to the academic and research mission of KUST and enriching the local industrial and academic collaboration. Conduct an internationally competitive research aimed at high impact publication in the area of water desalination and water-oil separation.
- Respond to the deliverables of the funded water desalination and oil-water separation project using membrane technology for ADNOC refining research center.
- Develop quantitative understanding for the different membrane parameters and flow conditions and exemplified that through fabrication and analytical testing.
- Hands on using ESM and other microscope facilities such as energy dispersion and backscattering detection.
- Coordinate with the PI and project sponsors on several tasks that involves:
- Membrane solution preparation and process fabrication
- Thin layer polymer membrane fabrication and testing
- Technical discussion and human capacity development through training and workshops.
- Help in writing and preparing progress reports to the sponsors
- All project partners reports to the PI, each of the project staff is considered as a leader and collaborates on several tasks making him/her supervised or manager; for example the sampling and testing, model development, experimental setup and validation etc which granting the staff leader supervisory responsibility . The research engineer here will be leading some of these tasks in responds to the project deliverables on timely and efficient manner.
- M.Sc. in Materials or Chemical engineering with strong interest in membrane desalination
- High attainment level and understanding of membrane testing and assessment
- Experience and hands on R&D tasks related to thin membrane material fabrication and micro detection and mechanical property assessment. .
- Strong materials background and computer skills in Microsoft office, i.e. MS Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Excellent in written and communication skills
- 2 years’ experience in academic research (equivalent to MS or GRA)
How To Apply
You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement