Research Assistant in Electrical Engineering (Antennas)
1 day left
- Full Time
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
The Microwave and Antenna Engineering Research Group at Heriot-Watt University is a research unit of international excellence fostering industrially-driven world-class research excellence and skill development to accelerate the adoption of advanced front end solutions in emerging high frequency electronic systems and applications. The scientific activities within the group focus on leading state of the art developments in radio systems for emerging space missions, wireless power transmission and charging, 5G communications and beyond, etc. The group performs funded research in collaboration with several large enterprises and SMEs across sectors that include space, communications and defense among others. Additionally, the group has a large portfolio of live grants, total value £2M, and about £1M per annum since 2013.
With emphasis on product development, the group has recently been awarded the High Growth Spin Out program run by Scottish Enterprise. The programme offers support to spin out our current technology on Flat Panel Antennas for Satellite on The Move communications (Infinect). Infinect, led by Dr. Mateo-Segura, is now recruiting for a microwave antenna design engineer to join our team.
The post holder is required to:
- Working with 5 Antenna Engineers, the candidate will undertake the detailed design and development of a flat panel antennas and required microwave components, systems and subsystems, together with their associated electrical, mechanical and functional interfaces.
- Under the guidance and management of the team leader, the candidate will be responsible for supporting the design of novel antenna solutions using a combination of in-house tools and commercially available EM software.
- The role will also include technical support to manufacture, as well as involvement in test, calibration and validation activities.
- As a Microwave Antenna Design Engineer you will be expected to plan your work efficiently and report regularly on task progress. You may be asked to provide technical assistance and guidance to others, whilst promoting a culture of sharing best practice and process improvement.
- You will contribute to the technical assessment of system or subsystem design to ensure compatibility with overall system performance. Under the guidance of the team leader you will investigate design options and where appropriate, make detailed proposals for preferred design solutions which are compatible with project design, timescales and cost objectives.
- The candidate will be expected to carry out design activities in accordance with the project, including all necessary reporting of technical and timescale progress and achievements.
- You should be comfortable presenting your results and designs either through written reports or aural presentations.
- Build internal contacts and participate in networks for discussion of future investments.
- We are looking for a creative and highly motivated researcher willing to work as part of a team.
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 22 June 2018
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of migrant workers. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
Informal enquiries may be made to Carolina Mateo-Segura at C.Mateo-Segura@hw.ac.uk
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.