Technical Officer, AUV Software Systems/Field Operations
Australian Centre for Field Robotics (ACFR)
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies
- Be valued for your exceptional knowledge and experience working with robotic systems
- Opportunity to provide technical support for the Integrated Marine Observing System (IMOS) Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) Facility
- 12 month Fixed Term Full-time Role, Located at Darlington Campus. Base Salary: $82,098 p.a. Level 6, plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation.
About the opportunity
The Australian Centre for Field Robotics (ACFR) is based in the School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering (AMME), and is dedicated to the research, development, application and dissemination of field robotics principles.
We are seeking a Technical Officer (AUV software systems/field operations) to provide technical support for the Integrated Marine Observing System (IMOS) Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) Facility. You will manage vehicle upgrades and maintenance, logistics, field operations and data, ensure platform readiness, manage and execute mechanical, electrical or software upgrades, manage data and documentation, and plan and execute fieldwork. Your role will also involve collaboration with internal and external researchers and may require some supervision of technical staff and students.
In this position, you will:
- provide expert advice, sound technical research support and assistance to researchers, students, and other technical staff working in the field or the laboratory
- manage the laboratory workplace ensuring that the research, learning and teaching requirements of the work area are met effectively
- oversee the preparation of reporting and documentation
- ensure laboratory is compliant with Workplace Health and Safety requirements.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for a Technical Officer who possesses:
- tertiary qualifications in Electrical/Mechanical/Mechatronic Engineering, Computer Science or similar experience working with robotic systems including development of software, electronic and/or hardware systems
- ability to write technical documents and user manuals relating to software and processes
- skills and experience necessary to manage the processes for testing and support of software/hardware for robotic systems, with a particular focus on fielding robotic systems.
The position is full-time, fixed-term for 12 months, with the possibility of renewal subject to performance, funding and need.
Please refer to the Candidate Information Pack for a detailed Position Description. To be considered, it is essential that you upload a resume and address the online selection criteria.
The Australian Centre for Field Robotics (ACFR) is based in the School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering (AMME) at The University of Sydney, and is dedicated to the research, development, application and dissemination of field robotics principles. The ACFR is the largest robotics and automation research group in Australia and one of the largest of its kind in the world.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ more than 6,000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
All professional staff employed by the University of Sydney must have the right to work in Australia. An employer visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 939/0518F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm 19 June 2018
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
If we think your skills are needed in other areas of the University, we will be sure to contact you about other opportunities.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Computer Science Other Professional Services jobs in Sydney
- Fixed Term Engineering & Technology Other Professional Services jobs in Sydney
- Fixed Term Electrical & Electronic Engineering Other Professional Services jobs in Sydney
- Fixed Term Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Other Professional Services jobs in Sydney