KTP Associate in Distilling
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
This collaborative project aims to identify new yeast strains, propagation and fermentation methods, and sensory analysis methods suitable to produce unique whisky.
The post will involve - Review of Muckle Brig business, market and product specifications; yeast strain research, small scale fermentation and distillation trial development; Setting up of commercial production of new make spirit and Scotch; Development and Implementation of Quality Control Procedures; Construct knowledge repository of yeast strain characteristics; Commercialisation, Education and Future development
Objectives of every Knowledge Transfer Partnership:
• to facilitate the transfer of knowledge and the spread of technical and business skills through an innovation project.
• to provide company-based training for the most able graduates in order to enhance their business and specialist skills.
• to stimulate and enhance business relevant research and training undertaken by the knowledge base (universities & public funded research organizations).
The post holder is required to;
1. Review of Muckle Brig business, market and product specifications
• Detailed understanding of Muckle Brig’s business model and of production methods
• List of desired attributes for final spirit profile(s)
• Distillation process documentation including malt and wort specifications
2. Yeast strain research, small scale fermentation and distillation trial development
• List of recommended yeasts for further testing (approx. 20)
• List of sensory attributes and chemical “footprint” of fermented wort (wash for subsequent distillation)
• Documented Protocol for small scale distillation
• List of sensory attributes and chemical “footprint” for new make spirit (main flavour and aroma compounds/congeners)
• R&D facility established within company
• Report identifying best yeast strain(s) to take to full scale propagation presented to company management including details of key sensory attributes and chemical/congener footprint of wash and new make spirit
3. Setting up of commercial production of new make spirit and Scotch
• SOPs for large scale distillation and fermentation
• Commercial scale New Make Spirit/ Scotch production initiated
4. Development and Implementation of Quality Control Procedures
• Documented procedures for wort production and evaluation
• Documented procedures for fermented wort (wash) evaluation
• Documented procedures new make spirit assessment and evaluation
• Quality control of wort production, wash and new make spirit implemented by company staff
• Final embedding of Sensory profiling techniques
• Compliance procedures for alcohol reporting in place
5. Construct knowledge repository of yeast strain characteristics
• Comprehensive Knowledge repository of yeast strain performance and sensory characteristics for new make spirit
6. Commercialisation, Education and Future development
• Company Educational strategy
• Educational and public engagement materials created
• Series of educational experimental protocols
• Fermentation and Distilling knowledge for new product development and quality control embedded through documentation and staff training and collaborative working
• New product development pipeline
• Series of industry promotional events to promote new distillery concept and products
• co-visits to potential customers to promote innovative new make whisky product/ Scotch and secure sales
- Minimum BSc-level award in Brewing & Distilling/Microbiology/Biochemistry
- Experience of Microbiology (practical/lab experience), Flavour/ Sensory Analysis, Data Handling
- Must have proven academic ability and a demonstrable high level of technical competence in experimental science and the analysis / modelling of the results
- Ability to articulate research work, both in technical reports / papers and by oral presentation
- Ability to formulate and progress work on their own initiative
- Evidence of research ability: problem solving, flexibility
- Must be able to work as part of a team
- Driving licence
- Evidence of ability to present work effectively in person, e.g. at conferences and seminars.
- Previous experience with one or more of the following: distillery fermentation and distillation.
- Experience of experimental design and integration.
- Capability to be self-directed and think innovatively.
- Energy and enthusiasm for the project.
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 18 June 2018
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of migrant workers. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.