Desktop Services Specialist
We are seeking self-motivated, passionate, and logical technology professionals to join the ranks of our highly dynamic and diverse team. Individuals will have the opportunity to serve as a liaison between the Boston University community and our large, comprehensive centralized IT department, leveraging technical expertise to assess business needs and advocate for and implement technology solutions. Individuals will be responsible for providing end-to-end technology support to our client communities by building strong relationships and establishing themselves as the point person in an ever-changing technology driven world. The ideal candidate is one who highly values the client experience, is resourceful, adaptable, thrives in a team-based structure, and ensures technology works for the client, not the other way around.
In return, we provide an environment that encourages creativity, collaboration, professional and personal growth, open doors, life-long friendships, and a sense of purpose topped off with a touch of humor.
- Advocate for client technology needs
- Operate, maintain, troubleshoot and provide expert level support for a wide variety of areas on the Charles River Campus including:
- client/desktop systems administration
- mobile devices
- client-server and web-based solutions
- Participate in multiple service, platform or project teams as a subject matter expert, technical lead, client lead and/or project lead/manager
- Focus on consistently providing best in class support through collaboration with our faculty, staff, and researchers to update and improve business processes using Information Technology solution
- 3-5 years’ experience in a related technology environment.
- Bachelor's Degree in related discipline is preferred.
- Must be able to lift moderately heavy equipment (up to 50 pounds).
- Must hold a valid driver's license.
- This position entails being on call and working evening, weekend and/or holiday hours, as needed
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills.
- Patience when problem-solving complex technical issues, over the phone or in person, with diverse, sometimes not technically inclined, customers.
- Ability to adhere to established procedures and keep accurate records of incidents and requests while working in the field.
- Strong independent decision-making capabilities.
- Learn and support new technology quickly.
- Interact with all levels of an organization, as well as external vendors, in a professional, diplomatic, and tactful manner.
- Work well with both primary and dotted line reporting.
- Comfortable working both in cross-functional teams and autonomously.
- Strong experience with diagnosing Windows and macOS issues required.
- Ability to troubleshoot software, hardware and network issues
- Familiarity with Exchange, Active Directory, group policy, VMware, file permissions and performance monitoring.
- Possess an understanding of restricted use data.
- Comfortable with installing, configuring and upgrading Windows and Mac applications, peripherals, and mobile devices.
Experience with a variety of tools commonly leveraged in a complex enterprise environment such as remote assistance, asset management, image and deployment patching, backup and restore, virus protection, and various native and centrally managed encryption solutions required
Job Location Boston , Massachusetts, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular