Fire Systems Electronics Specialist
Description of Work Unit
Trades Maintenance Services exist to support Facilities Management, Administration Services Division, and Colorado State University strategic plans. To provide, within the limit of its allocated resources, quality trades maintenance services, which includes all structural, mechanical, and electrical systems, and small construction project management. These services are to create and maintain an aesthetically pleasing and functional environment that meets or exceeds the University’s needs for instruction, research and outreach. The Fire Management Shop exists to provide quality services including, but not limited to; fire alarm systems, fire suppression systems, fire inspections, the life safety reporting system, fire pumps, and back flow prevention. These functions contribute to life safety, convenience and quality for the benefit of the University Community in order to support the goals and objectives of the University, Facilities Services and Trades Maintenance Services.
Assists the Fire Systems Group in the Installation of new equipment and maintenance, repair, testing, monitoring and calibration of equipment. Systems include (but not limited to) Fire Life safety, control and signaling systems, mechanical and electrical controls for Fire/Life Safety Systems and reporting Network.
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
2 full-time years (24 months) of technical experience repairing, performing maintenance, installing, modifying, calibrating, inspecting equipment within electrical trades OR fire alarm systems OR security systems.
An associate’s degree or successful completion of the equivalent of 60 semester hours of training at an accredited college or university or recognized non-correspondence technical school with 30 semester hours of course work related to the work assignment may be substituted for two years of the required experience. * To use this substitution a transcript showing credit hours must be attached with this application*
Highly sought applicants will have many of the following:
- Knowledge of fire, security, and monitoring systems which includes the communication and wiring and components.
- Experience maintaining Notifier fire alarm systems
- Electrical work experience; repairing, performing maintenance, installing, modifying, calibrating, inspecting equipment
- Fire Alarm experience; repairing, performing maintenance, installing, modifying, calibrating, inspecting equipment
- Ability to interpret NFPA and International Code Council Regulatory requirements
- Federal Security Clearance
- Current Fit for respirator and Federal Security Clearance
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Self-motivation and initiative
- Attention to Detail
- Strong teamwork and problem solving abilities
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Fire Alarm Preventative Maintenance Duty/Responsibility
Develop and carry out planned maintenance schedules and procedures to maximize fire alarm reliability per the NFPA, ICC, FM Global, and Facilities Services standards and policies. Develop, institute, and keep up-to-date inspection records. Generate reports of system conditions that will be utilized for: shop records, Environmental Health Services, future references, and others. Maintain building floor plans of device locations of all components interfaced to the fire alarm system. Preserve and update equipment records of all fire alarm components and interfaces. Preserve and update blueprints for all fire alarm devices and components interfaced with the fire alarm system. Generate, produce, preserve, and communicate thorough and detailed reports of all deficiencies and potential deficiencies identified. Explain work processes and train others (students and co-workers). Assist with fire drills. Communicate, schedule, and coordinate inspections and outages with customers, maintenance personnel, police department, dispatch, co-workers, and supervisor. Order replacement parts through warehouse of materials used for testing. Discuss with supervisor ideas, tools, and concepts that would help increase efficiency and productivity of the fire alarm preventative maintenance program.
Percentage Of Time 70% Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Fire Alarm Test and Verification Duty/Responsibility
Preform initial acceptance testing and verification of fire alarm systems per NFPA, ICC, and Facilities Services standards and policies. Develop, institute, and keep up-to-date acceptance testing records. Generate reports of system conditions that will be utilized for: shop records, Environmental Health Services, future references, and others. Verify as-built drawings of device locations of all components interfaced to the fire alarm system. Preserve and update equipment records of all fire alarm components and interfaces. Generate, produce, preserve, and communicate thorough and detailed reports of all deficiencies and potential deficiencies identified. Assist with fire drills. Communicate with customers, contractors, maintenance personnel, engineers, insurance provider, fire department, police department, dispatch, co-workers, and supervisor to analyze, plan, schedule, and coordinate testing and verification. Provide contractor support. Order replacement parts through warehouse of materials used for testing. Discuss with supervisor ideas, tools, and concepts that would help increase efficiency and productivity of fire alarm testing and verification.
Percentage Of Time 10% Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Service and Repair Duty/Responsibility
Provide and/or assist with service and repair for university fire/life safety system which include: fire alarms, AEDs, fire/smoke dampers, fire suppression, and other components that interface with the fire alarm systems. Service and repair may include: battery replacements, device/component replacements, system replacements, installation of new components to meet current codes and standards, repairs identified by inspections, troubleshooting circuits, and service calls. In responding to emergency service repair be able to quickly analyze the situation and repair the system to return the building to normal operation. Order replacement parts through warehouse of materials used for service. Discuss with supervisor ideas, tools, and concepts that would help increase efficiency and productivity of fire alarm service. Communicate service issues and results to customers, contractors, maintenance personnel, engineers, insurance provider, fire department, police department, dispatch, co-workers, and supervisor.
Percentage Of Time 10% Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Other Duties as assigned Duty/Responsibility
As the business needs and shop assignments may change, other duties may be assigned by supervisor to be able to accomplish these tasks.
Percentage Of Time 10%
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Clearly document job duties you have performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the Work Experience section on the application. Human Resources must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
- Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that Human Resources can calculate full-time work experience.
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- If an Application is considered “Incomplete”, the Application will be removed from consideration for the position.
- An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- An Application is incomplete if “see resume” (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- Positions requiring a degree or if using education as a substitution for work experience (eg: Associate or Bachelor’s) transcripts are required in order to verify receipt of the required degree or coursework. If official or unofficial transcripts are not supplied at the time of application, the Application is incomplete.
- When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a completed application; however, some positions may still require a resume as a component for complete application materials.
**Please see the Required Documents section of the posting.
- The selection process for State Classified positions may include an exam(s), which requires candidates to physically appear (at the CSU campus in Fort Collins, CO) at the candidates’ own expense.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from email@example.com. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check the Deleted and Junk folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your Application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Please check the Help link online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/help/ for assistance on your application or for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office HR_Employment@mail.colostate.edu.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Pre-employment Physical, Valid Driver’s License, Essential Services Designation - Required being on duty to perform essential and/or emergency services of the agency without delay or interruption, Shift Work - May be required to work on a rotating schedule to extend operational hours, including nights and weekends, On-call Status - Position must be available for on call assignments on a rotational basis.
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Associate Vice President for Human Capital, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.