Research Fellow - Management School
Queen’s University Belfast
Post-doctoral Research Fellow
Queen’s Management School
We are home to some 7600 students and 700 academic and support staff who work in five Schools – Arts, English and Languages, History, Anthropology, Philosophy and Politics, Law, Management, and Social Sciences, Education and Social Work – and a Global Research Institute, the Senator George J Mitchell Institute for Global Peace, Security and Justice.
We are looking for a highly-skilled Research Fellow to work on a Leverhulme Trust-funded project (Title: “The Rise of Corporate Titans: CEOs in the UK, 1900-2016”) together with Professor J. Turner (QUB) and Dr M. Aldous (QUB). This post is available for 24 months only, starting 1st September 2018 (or as soon as possible thereafter).
The main objectives of the project are to:
1. Discover the characteristics and career paths of UK CEOs from 1900 to 2016.
2. Identify changes in the role of the CEO over time.
3. Examine the effects that changes in legal and political institutions, economic environment and industrial organization have on CEO characteristics.
4. Analyse the relationship between CEO characteristics and firm performance in the long run.
The successful candidate must have:
• Candidates should hold or be about to obtain a PhD in a discipline with a strong methodological focus on Economic or Business History, or related Management fields.
• At least 3 years’ relevant research experience using historical sources or in corporate governance.
• Experience of publishing, or ability to publish, in top international journals.
• Ability to contribute to broader management and administrative processes.
Further information about the School can be found at www.qub.ac.uk/mgt/
Anticipated interview date: Monday 16 July 2018
Salary scale: £32,548 - £38,833 per annum (potential to progress to £42,418 per annum through sustained exceptional contribution)
Closing date: Friday 15 June 2018
For full criteria and to apply online, visit www.qub.ac.uk/jobs. For further information or assistance contact Human Resources, Queen’s University Belfast, BT7 1NN. Telephone (028) 9097 3044 or email on HR@qub.ac.uk
The University is committed to equality of opportunity and to selection on merit. It therefore welcomes applications from all sections of society and particularly welcomes applications from people with a disability.
Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.