Recruitment Officer, Sales and Engagement
The Recruitment Officer, Sales and Engagement contributes to the development, regional coordination and execution of the domestic student engagement and sales strategies for all Australian markets. The incumbent will develop and strengthen relationships with new and existing stakeholders within their region of responsibility, coordinate recruitment and engagement activities within their regional area, represent the University at nominated student recruitment events and exhibitions, and deliver recruitment events and activities to increase applications and enrolments at JCU. The Recruitment Officer, Sales and Engagement plays a crucial role in the recruitment of students to JCU utilising a professional and sales driven approach within their region of responsibility.
The Recruitment Officer, Sales and Engagement represents JCU undergraduate and postgraduate programs to the Australian market and engages closely with schools and other key accounts, academic staff and other stakeholders to advise and inform prospective students.
The Chancellery consists of the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor and President, Chair of Academic Board, Office of the Chief of Staff, Marketing, International and Advancement Directorates, and State of the Tropics project.
The Chancellery provides a centralised point for the facilitation, coordination and oversight of all corporate governance; marketing activities; international compliance and student support; alumni and fundraising; government relations; and external engagement both domestically and internationally.
The Chancellery provides support to the Vice Chancellor and the Executive Group on governance and management issues and in particular supports the Vice Chancellor to discharge her duties. The Vice Chancellor and President of the University is the equivalent of the Chief Executive Officer of a substantial company. The Vice Chancellor is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the University and plays a prominent role in outward facing activities of the organisation, including national, international and community engagement.
Future Students and International Directorate
The Future Students and International Directorate is responsible for student recruitment both domestically and internationally and student mobility, both inbound and outbound. The Directorate provides a diverse range of activities that support the recruitment and mobility functions, including agent relationships, study tours, international compliance and international student support. In addition, the Directorate is tasked with working with schools to increase the aspiration of young people in our region to undertake further education.
James Cook University
Division of Global Strategy and Engagement
Future Students Directorate
- Contribute to the implementation of whole of University Australian student recruitment strategies to increase market share and first preferences to JCU in target markets across Australia.
- Engage positively with prospective undergraduate and postgraduate students to promote JCU course offerings and pathways to maximize applications.
- Represent and actively promote JCU at student recruitment events including school visits, careers expos, information sessions, university experience days and other activities as directed by the Manager, Australian Education Sector, ensuring leads are captured and followed up.
- Initiate and develop effective working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders including school guidance officers, teachers, student ambassadors, feeder institutions, external suppliers and JCU staff to ensure appropriate marketing of JCU, increased awareness of JCU programs and understand trends and needs of student recruitment.
- Active management of key accounts, including tracking of potential students through the University’s customer relationship management (CRM) and other systems.
- Analyse data and provide insights into Australian market segments as requested by the Manager, Australian Education Sector.
- Assist in the promotion of JCU’s Student Exchange program to prospective and current students and staff, through active promotion of student mobility opportunities at events including Open Days, Australian recruitment expos, information sessions, and classroom presentations.
- Develop an understanding of the legislative requirementsfor international students studying at JCU and establish, train and support Australian-based agents and pathway partners of JCU.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff. Your specific level descriptor can be found at:
Professional and Technical
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Recruitment Officer, Sales and Engagement is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Recruitment Officer, Sales and Engagement is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Recruitment Officer, Sales and Engagement is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
- It is a requirement of this position to regularly travel domestically within Australia and regularly work outside of ordinary hours.
- It is a requirement of this position to hold a current first aid certificate.
- It is a requirement of this position to hold a current ‘C’ class QLD Driver’s License.
- It is a requirement of this position to hold a current Working with Children Suitability Card (Blue Card).
- It is a requirement of this position to operate from either the main JCU Campus (as per table above) or the City Campus.
Selection and appointments will be assessed against selection criteria
- Degree qualification in Marketing, Communications, Events or a related discipline and two year’s subsequent relevant experience in student recruitment, education and training or another marketing area; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education and/or training.
- Proven excellent customer service skills, including the ability to identify opportunities for leveraging existing or new relationships that will support and promote James Cook University.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills and effective self-management skills, including the ability to prioritise, problem solve, meet deadlines, and follow through to completion of tasks.
- Demonstrated well-developed written and oral communication skills, including public speaking ability and experience.
- Strong sales skills with a proven ability to meet targets and the ability to coordinate multiple events and activities as part of an overall sales and engagement program.
- Experience in the implementation of sales strategies, including customer relationship management, direct marketing/sales, market intelligence, and event management.
- Demonstrated skills across a range of computer applications including CRM systems, email, social media networks and mobile applications.
- Understanding of the Australian Higher Education sector.
- Understanding of the legislative requirements for international students studying in Australia.