3 days left
- Full Time
1x Open ended post
2x Open ended fixed funded posts until 31st July 2019
2x Fixed term cover posts until 30th Sept 2019
2x Fixed term posts for 1 year
The University of Bristol IT Services Division is expanding its Solutions team to provide more development and support for both new and existing software applications. The applications are a mixture of COTS packages and bespoke applications. We are looking for experienced developers and operations people for both open-ended and fixed term positions. This is a great opportunity to get involved in a team which is expected to deliver solutions which support the University's strategy. Depending on the role, you could be involved in managing packaged software, maintaining bespoke applications, contributing to system integrations or working on new projects, but always with a dedicated, enthusiastic and supportive team.
The team work in a mix of Windows and Unix environments with applications using Oracle and Microsoft SQL databases. The applications run on a mixture of local and cloud platforms using Hyper V or Azure. The bespoke applications are either written in Java with web applications using frameworks such as Struts, Spring Boot or in Python and Django. There is also some use of Bootstrap and React. The team use Git, Maven, Jenkins, and Puppet to develop, build and deploy these services. The team are expected to provide 2nd and 3rd line support as well as provide software development expertise. For this reason, good communication skills are highly desirable. For more details on skills and experience required please see the job description. If you feel that you can contribute to the team and to the University, we would love to hear from you.
Technical knowledge and experience is required in:
- Supporting applications on Windows and/or Unix platforms, including the installation, patching and upgrading of applications
- Developing and supporting applications using Java web technologies and/or Python/Django.
- Experience of configuring and deploying applications which use Tomcat and Apache to both cloud platforms such as Azure and VMs running on Hyper V
- Experience of using Puppet would be useful (Desirable)
- Experience of using build, CI and deployment tools (Desirable?)
- Experience of Unix shell scripting
- Experience of supporting applications using Oracle or SQL Server databases. Good knowledge of SQL
- Broad technical knowledge and the willingness to learn new skills as required
- Experience of working with non-technical users
It is expected that interviews will be held week commencing 9th July 2018.
For informal enquiries please contact Simon King (Simon.King@bristol.ac.uk) or Mark Ellingsen (Mark.Ellingsen@bristol.ac.uk).
The University is committed to creating and sustaining a fully inclusive culture. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and communities.