Controls Software Developer
Are you a software developer with a feeling for hardware? Do you want to participate in the control of the high-power RF acceleration systems of the CERN accelerators and of the associated feedback systems, being developed, using the latest digital technology? CERN, take part!
You will join:
- The Beams (BE) Department, which is responsible not only for the operation of all of CERN's accelerators, but also for a number of the specialised technologies and disciplines required for the design, construction and operation of particle accelerators;
- The Radio Frequency (RF) Group, in the BE Department, which is responsible for RF technology and the operation of the RF acceleration and transverse damping systems in all the CERN accelerators. A significant part of the RF Group's activity is dedicated to accelerator upgrades and new projects;
- The Servos & Controls Interface Section, in the RF Group, which is a cross-disciplinary team that provides expertise in all aspects of digital control of the RF systems, including hardware design with programmable logic, digital signal processing, process control with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), real-time control using VMEbus and PC front-end computers, and application software running on operator consoles.
As a Controls Software Developer in the Servos & Controls Interface Section, you will be working at the interface between hardware developers and the controls and operations teams. You will more specifically:
- Develop, test and implement:
- Real-time control software for digital beam control and feedback systems being developed for new projects across the CERN accelerator complex, in C++ using the CERN Front End Software Architecture (FESA) framework, running on VME, MicroTCA and industrial PC systems under Linux;
- FESA supervision software for the PLCs controlling the high-power RF systems;
- User interfaces for commissioning, surveillance and expert interventions on the RF accelerator equipment.
- Work with hardware developers in the RF Group's Feedback Section to provide tools for efficient firmware and software development;
- Collaborate with the Controls (CO) and Operations (OP) Groups in the integration of RF equipment into the accelerator control system and the CERN LSA (LHC Software for Applications) operational software environment;
- Contribute to the first-line support provided by the group for the operation of the accelerators.