Head of Documentary
AFTRS is Australia’s Screen and Broadcast School, established to fuel and empower Australian creativity and storytelling. AFTRS is consistently rated as one of the top film Schools in the world.
You will play an important role in the Australian Film Television and Radio School (AFTRS) Awards Senior Leadership team, as well as teaching and mentoring the next generation of talented story tellers and content creators.
As Head of Documentary you will be responsible for:
- Teaching and mentoring Award Course students in line with the approved curriculum, the School's teaching and learning strategy, and defined timetable and resources
- Ensuring that your discipline team of lecturers are properly inducted, trained and briefed to ensure quality and consistency of course delivery
- Working collaboratively with Course Leaders to ensure discipline lecturers are teaching to approved curriculum, at the correct level and following AFTRS academic policies and processes
- Provide discipline specific advice across the School to ensure that all AFTRS programs are reflective of current industry practice
- At least 10 years’ experience as a professional screen practitioner in the relevant discipline with comprehensive current knowledge of the theoretical, creative and practical elements of screen production within the documentary discipline.
- The ability to draw on a network of industry contacts to recruit guest lecturers, mentors, speakers and assist and advise on student placement opportunities.
- Demonstrated experience of working within a complex, deadline driven environment to limited resources and budget
- Demonstrated experience mentoring, teaching or coaching staff, interns or students
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to articulate both the theoretical, technical and creative aspects documentary; to provide feedback constructively; and to work with a highly motivated, diverse student intake.
- Evidence of being able to work collaboratively and respectfully as part of a committed team to deliver in a complex and interdependent model.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, manage and develop staff with positive outcomes.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing professional development
- The ability to represent the discipline within AFTRS, and the industry at a high level.
Desirable (but not essential)
- Extensive credits in a head of department role
- Relevant tertiary qualifications
- Understanding of curriculum development within a tertiary environment and the AQF framework
- Experience in teaching and assessing at tertiary degree levels with positive student feedback and engagement
- Evidence of research in a relevant area of screen production with an ability to clearly communicate the research
Salary: $124,945 p/a plus up to 15.4% super and excellent benefits package.
AFTRS is committed to building a richly diverse staff and faculty.
This position is open to all Australian citizens or Permanent Residents. AFTRS actively supports and appreciates workplace diversity and we strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from a wide range of backgrounds and people with a disability.
How to Apply: Please email your current resume with covering letter addressing how your skills and experience meet the selection criteria to email@example.com by 9am Monday 25 June 2018
Enquiries: Human Resources Team - firstname.lastname@example.org.