Postdoctoral Research Associate in Environmental Sciences
6 days left
- Full Time
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives.
Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university: one unbound by ivory towers and sandstone walls. Rather, we are focused on fostering collaboration between students, academics, industry and society, encouraging all to traverse the boundaries of their own perspective and affect change.
Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. A place of constant stimulus and human interaction.
Together, we advance world-class theoretical thinking and translate it into real-world solutions. We’re connecting people across the most diverse fields of knowledge to create bold new possibilities: for their careers, intellectual endeavours, enterprises and the common good.
At Macquarie, people become skilled at switching between specialist and generalist mindsets; mastering complexity, thinking holistically and helping to create a better future.
Connect with us today.
About the Department of Environmental Sciences
We are amongst the leading institutions in Australia in environmental sciences. In the Department of Environmental Sciences our research program covers:
- Catchments, rivers, wetlands and coasts
- Climate and palaeoenvironmental sciences
- Energy technologies
- Environmental contaminants
Our dynamic and dedicated academics and research students study and teach the interactions between the physical, biological and human environments. With the integrated use of fieldwork, laboratory work and spatial information science, our research and teaching programs provide a firm base in all scientific aspects of the environment, alongside an understanding of environmental management. We produce work-ready graduates and have significant external impact and engagement with government, industry and community, both in Australia and internationally.
The Department of Environmental Sciences is currently seeking a suitably qualified postdoctoral research associate. Reporting to Professor Andrew Skidmore you will:
- Take an active part in developing Macquarie University’s exciting new research direction linking Earth observation (EO) with metabarcoding and metagenomics for biodiversity assessment;
- Be responsible for analysing complex data sets and evaluating the potential of existing data;
- Contribute to the publishing of academic papers in world class journals.
Qualifications and Skills
To be successful in this position you will need to demonstrate:
- A background in quantitative metagenomics;
- The capacity to build expertise in the combination of EO (Hyperspectral and LiDAR) with metagenomics;
- An interest in remote sensing to support biodiversity outcomes
To be considered for this position applications must respond to each of the selection criteria below and attach as a separate document in the application process.
- A PhD in environmental genomics or molecular ecology or a related discipline.
- Experience manipulating large data sets using Python, or a similar language.
- Ability to provide in situ data for calibration and validation of remote sensing image products from hyperspectral and LiDAR imagery and an understanding of Earth Observation
- Demonstrated expertise in the response of microbial communities to environmental gradients and structure-function relations which underpin ecological communities
- Demonstrated technical expertise in sampling and preparing DNA extractions for next generation sequencing and qPCR.
- Experience in experimental design, and creating and managing databases.
- A track record of high quality publications and demonstrated strong verbal and written and communication skills.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- The ability to perform univariate and multivariate analyses using R.
Salary Package: From $90,188 – $96,655 p.a. (Level A, PhD required), plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading
Appointment Type: Full-time, Fixed Term (3 years)
Specific Role Enquiries: Professor Andrew Skidmore on email@example.com or +61 2 9850 4546
General Recruitment Enquiries: Diane Abinoja on firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: Friday, 29 June 2018 at 11:55pm AEST
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.