Research Facility Design Engineer
School of Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure
Melbourne School of Engineering
Salary: $98,775 - $117,290 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
About University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, holding the number 1 spot in Australia and classified among the top 40 universities globally (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, renowned for delivering learning & teaching programs, we are deeply connected to business, government and the community through our research and impact, all to achieve and contribute to a better society which helps transform our lives.
About Melbourne School of Engineering
Our MSE story is one of hard work, great people and progressive thinking, all driven by a passion to meet our student’s needs and have them at the heart of every decision we make. MSE has extraordinary trajectory that will reshape UoM’s impact as an Engineering and Computer & Information Systems School and play part in Australia’s role in addressing global challenges of today. Our goal is to become the number 1 Engineering & CIS School and be placed among the world’s best by 2025. Our strategic plans will help keep our School moving towards the future and push the boundaries to lead us all down exciting paths.
As part of our strategic plans, the University has recently announced a new seven-hectare campus located at Fishermen’s Bend at the old General Motors Holden site at Port Melbourne. Approx. $1 billion has been invested to create a world-class engineering school for the 21st century.
Set to open in 2020, the new campus will enable 1,000+ Engineering & IT students and will be the centrepiece of Australia’s leading precinct for advanced manufacturing, design, engineering, technology excellence and create opportunities to work alongside leading industries. This large-scale facility will also enable us to build wind and water tunnels, smart grid technologies, autonomous vehicle testing and pre-fabricated building manufacturing.
This is an incredible and rare opportunity, one that is unprecedented in Australia, for a detailed-oriented Research Design Engineer to join our MSE team to investigate options and develop new ideas, prototypes and build research facilities for this new campus.
What you will be doing:
- Responsible for designing, researching, prototyping, creating detailed engineering documentation, estimating and process improvement
- Develop an experimental space and work with a team that is dedicated and passionate about building new experimental facilities
- Responsible for scoping the project management to the specifications and creation of bespoke experimentation research facilities for the main users of the laboratory space
- Assist with facility development from feasibility to completion of the design and construction of new and refurbished facilities, and work as a member of the design team to bring forward the capital works projects to programme and budget
- You will have a background in mechanical or civil engineering and have proven research facility design experience
- Experience in engineering analysis skills (especially as it pertains to design), the ability to generate detailed CAD drawings
- Knowledge of fluids engineering, engineering mechanics, and the manufacturing processes relevant to facility design will be highly advantageous
- Knowledge of manufacturing, report writing and exceptional verbal communication skills
- Sound knowledge in Health & Safety, ethical and quality requirements both legislative and University specific
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to leap into a role like no other, we’re ready to open our doors to you.
How to Apply
Your application should include a Cover Letter and Resume.
While we take a look at your application, get to know us more by visiting our social media channels and website www.eng.unimelb.edu.au.
Close date: 27 Jun 2018
Position Description and Selection Criteria
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria