Associate Dean, Industry and Corporate Engagement
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives.
Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university: one unbound by ivory towers and sandstone walls. Rather, we are focused on fostering collaboration between students, academics, industry and society, encouraging all to traverse the boundaries of their own perspective and affect change.
Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. A place of constant stimulus and human interaction.
Together, we advance world-class theoretical thinking and translate it into real-world solutions. We’re connecting people across the most diverse fields of knowledge to create bold new possibilities: for their careers, intellectual endeavours, enterprises and the common good.
At Macquarie, people become skilled at switching between specialist and generalist mindsets; mastering complexity, thinking holistically and helping to create a better future.
Connect with us today.
The Executive Dean of Science and Engineering is currently recruiting for an Associate Dean of Industry and Corporate Engagement. This senior academic role (Professor or Associate Professor level, with a salary loading) is supported by the FSE’s Engagement Manager, Louise McDonald, and reports to the Faculty Executive Dean, Prof. Barbara Messerle.
The Associate Dean of Industry and Corporate Engagement will lead the development and execution of strategy for growing the Faculty’s relationships with industry and corporate engagement partners. The successful applicant will have responsibility for developing and enhancing a culture of external engagement and building the capability of staff across the Faculty in undertaking research and the translation of research in collaboration with external partners. They will work closely with our academic staff across the Faculty and develop the capability of the staff in their competence and confidence in engagement activities. As a member of the Faculty senior academic leadership team, they will be able to develop productive, long term partnerships with corporate, industry and government networks and across disciplines in Australia. They will be expected to have a strong scholarship and research background in a related Science and Engineering discipline, along with industry and partnership experience.
At the department level you will demonstrate academic leadership in your disciple, make significant contributions to scholarship and research and will lead and mentor other academic staff to enhance research and corporate engagement capabilities.
Qualifications and Skills
To be successful in this position you will demonstrate a strong record of academic and/or management achievement in a discipline within the Faculty, together with a demonstrated ability to:
- Improve strategic and operational performance of the Industry and Corporate Engagement portfolio
- Achieve Faculty objectives in reputation, standing and attractiveness across learning & teaching and research metrics as they relate to Industry and Corporate Engagement
- Develop, plan, implement and evaluate Faculty strategy
- Manage Faculty and University resources within the Industry and Corporate Engagement portfolio
- Evaluate and communicate the overall Corporate and Industry Engagement performance of the Faculty including the provision of data, projections and forecasts to assess current and projected requirements
- Produce outstanding contributions to scholarship and research in a relevant discipline aligned to the faculty
Written Selection Criteria
To be considered for this position applications must respond to the selection criteria below and attach as a separate document in the application process.
- Strong track record of providing academic leadership in Industry and Corporate Engagement to a department or Faculty
- Demonstrated track record of developing and maintaining productive reciprocal relationships with international stakeholders across one or more of the following areas; collaborations and partnerships; student recruitment; philanthropic donations; and/or other research or learning and teaching activities
- Proven expertise in developing, planning, implementing and evaluating strategy and engagement performance metrics
- Developing capability and providing support for staff to develop their competence and confidence in engagement activities
- Proven track record of interdisciplinary research aligned to the faculty
- Outstanding contributions to scholarship and research in a discipline as evidenced by ongoing publications in top tier journals and recognition as an authority in the discipline
- An exemplary track record in winning nationally competitive and/or industry research funding
Salary Package: Commensurate with experience from Level D (from $149,391 - $164,321 p.a.) to Level E (from $183,147 - $191,804 p.a.), plus a 15% salary loading for the term of the Associate Dean role and 17% employer's superannuation
Appointment Type: full time, 5 year fixed-term. The role will represent a 60% workload, the remaining 40% representing the staff member's research load.
Role Enquiries: Professor Barbara Messerle, Executive Dean via e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: Sunday 5 August 2018 at 11.55pm AEST
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.