Assistant Director, Data Architecture & Operations
Tracking Code 6051
The Assistant Director Data Architecture and Operations has the responsibility to lead and direct a team of technology professionals supporting database architecture, database administration, and business intelligence backend services. Working directly with technical staff and departmental clients, this individual leads data-related initiatives and services, ensuring that service standards are upheld. Key activities include service monitoring and management via ITIL standards, management and oversight of SDLC processes, change management, and systems sustainment activities. The scope of the role involves the implementation of projects and programs involving database and data warehouse solutions, technical and functional support for project and operations, and fostering of leadership and team building in support of data-related functions. The role also involves active participation and direction in strategies of database content, architecture, administration, and business intelligence and analytical solutions.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent required
- 10+ years of relevant IT work experience or the equivalent including managing team(s).
- Experience establishing departmental or service strategy
- Experience providing immediate supervision over a group or team with multiple senior-level employees and subordinates.
- Experience making decisions with broad departmental, organizational or enterprise impacts.
- Knowledge of data modeling practices and systems architectures necessary for the support data reporting and analytics
- concepts and best practices
- Knowledge of relational database environments (Oracle, SQLServer, MySQL, etc. both on-prem and in cloud)
- Knowledge of reporting and analytics; particularly via the use of business intelligence tools (MicroStrategy, PowerBI, SAP, AWS QuickSight, etc.)
- Knowledge and experience in database development and/or server administration
- Experience in problem solving and troubleshooting in a group multi-team setting
- Understanding of project management concepts and frameworks such as waterfall, Prince 2, Scrum
- Experience and/or certification in ITIL service management practices is desirable
- Experience working on multiple, complex projects as a project leader and a subject matter expert.
- Highly process-oriented, with proven success in solving business challenges through the design and implementation of process
- Experience coaching and mentoring junior technical staff
- Advanced oral and written communications skills
- Collaborative and supportive approach to working with numerous and diverse groups of people
Skill requirements (include complexity of position):
- Effective communication skills to work with subject matter experts
(SMEs) within the University to elicit the information necessary for
project technical design.
- Outstanding writing skills.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills in the following software
- packages: MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Visio.
Interpersonal skills (include personal interaction):
- Proactive questioning and listening skills are necessary to solicit information and target the value of solutions provided by IT services
- Deadline driven with little oversight
- Team player; professionalism and self-confidence
- Fluent in U.S. English
All information (written, verbal, electronic, etc.) that an employee encounters while working at Boston University is considered confidential. Will be exposed to and required to deal with highly confidential and sensitive material. Must adhere to Boston University compliance policy, department guidelines/policies and all applicable laws and regulations at all times.
Boston University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location Boston , Massachusetts, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular