Vice-Chancellor and President
- Full Time
Position Status 5 year Fixed-Term; Full-Time
Position Supervisor Chancellor
Number of Positions Supervised Directly: Up to 10, Indirectly up to 3,000
Job Family Category Leadership
The Vice-Chancellor and President of Central Queensland University (CQUniversity or the University) is the Chief Executive of the University. CQUniversity, and the role of Vice-Chancellor is established by the Queensland Government under the terms of the Central Queensland University Act (2017).
CQUniversity is a complex organisation, currently with the following job dimensions;
- Revenue over $450 Million pa;
- Asset valuation in excess of $400 Million;
- 26 operating locations, with the potential for more both nationally and internationally;
- 3,500 staff (as 2104 full time equivalents);
- 30,000 students.
Provide overall leadership and strategic direction to Australia’s most engaged and only truly ‘national’ university. You will use your dynamic and philanthropic approach to drive innovation and seek unique opportunities that will allow CQUniversity to dare to be different from other universities in the sector.
You will be accountable to the Council of CQUniversity. Your primary responsibilities will include defining and implementing the University’s strategy, policy and planning; leading the University’s external and industry engagement; and securing a sustainable financial base to allow the delivery of the University’s mission, aims and objectives.
You are responsible for:
- Developing and articulating a clear vision and strategic direction for the University's development, which will define the key areas of focus for the University's tertiary, vocational, research and educational programs.
- Ensuring that the University’s primary stakeholder – the Students – achieve an outstanding educational experience, and help them achieve a quality qualification.
- Maximising the University's standing amongst Australian universities as a leading provider of tertiary and vocational education, both nationally and internationally.
- Financial sustainability and investment opportunity through securing increased enrolment targets, growing philanthropy and commercial activities and accessing government grants and special funding from industry and the professions.
- Building research and teaching excellence by driving a culture of industry advancement and exceptional educational practice in the design, delivery and assessment of tertiary and vocational education programs.
- Establishing and maintaining key relationships and partnerships with all funding and peak bodies, governments, community and industry leaders and other universities and their Vice-Chancellors.
- Ensuring effective management and information systems are in place to provide timely, consistent and accurate information flows to the Council and external agencies.
- Building relationships with governments (including Federal and State Members of Parliament) in order to contribute to tertiary and vocational educational development and influence policy outcomes to benefit the University and initiating new strategies for the University to address government reforms.
- Building the University’s profile globally, regionally and locally to develop and preserve the brand.
- Developing succession planning at all levels in the University and recruiting the very best people to ensure there is a highly talented and diverse group of people working at the University.
- Being an Executive Director of all CQ University corporate entities, and being a trustee of any trusts managed by or associated with the CQUniversity.
- Undertaking other activities as directed by the University Council
Staff Leadership Responsibilities
- Role model people centred and innovative leadership; ensuring that immediate reports’ career development is monitored and encouraged in line with values; mentoring and oversight of DVCs so that the whole organisation sees a model of best practice leadership and management.
- Ensuring at all times and in all situations that the University functions remain seamless, systematic, compliant and capable of delivering on our mission.
- Building and maintaining the morale and passion in the University for the delivery of tertiary and vocational education throughout all campus locations nationally and internationally.
Applicants will need to exhibit the knowledge and educational requirements, skills and experience requirements, critical capabilities and motivational and job fit attributes required for the position.
Essential Knowledge and Education
- Demonstrated outstanding performance in driving cultural performance, and a commitment to organisational values.
- A proven ability to effectively engage, lobby and influence relevant external associations, networks and institutions.
- An outstanding professional reputation and track record of leadership and achievement within complex organisational environments.
- In addition to these essential items, the following are desirable:
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the university and vocational education environment, nationally and internationally;
- A track record of high level scholarship and research.
- Responds to significant, complex and novel challenges with a high level of resilience and persistence.
Engages and connects
- Shapes the structure and culture of the working environment, focusing and guiding others in accomplishing work objectives.
Personal drive and integrity
- Champions, and acts as an advocate for, the highest standards of ethical, inclusive and professional behaviour.
Shapes the future
- Generates and capitalises on innovative solutions to effectively resolve complex issues.
Communicates with influence
- Inspires others by setting and clearly communicating the vision of the future which provides direction for the University.
Demonstrated Affinity to the University values of:
- Can do
Essential Skills and Experience
- Outstanding leadership, management and entrepreneurial skills including a proven ability to drive and improve performance and initiate, influence and implement significant change and development strategies.
- A proven track record in achieving successful financial performance in large complex organisations (in the order of $400 Million pa revenue and an asset base of $500 Million.)
- Demonstrated capability to drive the University’s aspirations and vision and to further enhance the standing of the University regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Proven track record in achieving outcomes by working across organisational boundaries including with government, community and international partners.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a complex organisation operating on multiple sites nationally and internationally.
Motivational and Job Fit Factors
This position would suit someone who gains job satisfaction from:
- Putting communities, students and staff first.
- Providing transformative educational opportunities with unparalleled support and infrastructure.
- High energy strategic decision making in a complex and uncertain sector.
- Continuously improving and exploring new ways to achieve success.
- Being a high-involvement leader and influencing others by creating a participative and empowered environment.
- Taking risk and seeking promotion of bold ventures in order to take advantage of unique business opportunities.
- Rockhampton based position
- Have the ability to travel extensively by road, and air travel domestically and internationally, to meet the needs of the University’s complex operational footprint.