Assistant Registry Officer
The University Registry is a central department which is responsible for a range of operational and regulatory functions. The role of Assistant Registry Officer (Regional Support) is intended to support the key operational aims of the Student Records, Examination and Assessment, and Scheduling teams in delivering these services to our Regional Learning Centres.
The Assistant Registry Officer is responsible for three broad areas within BPP’s regional learning centres.
Administering the registration of students, reviewing student attendance and progression as well as maintaining students’ records from acceptance of offer to conferment of award. The role requires the post holder to assist with the planning and organisation of registration events which will involve face to face interaction with students in order to check matriculation documents. They will also work closely with student advisers, personal tutors and other internal stakeholders to assist in the resolution of student queries.
Planning, organising and supporting the delivery of examinations and assessments detailed in accordance with the University’s General Academic Regulations (GARs). Communication of information (using a variety of media including the University’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)) about examinations to staff and students including examination dates/times, venue allocation, examination procedures and conduct guidelines.
Assisting in the maintenance of teaching schedules on an ongoing basis, making changes as required according to business need.
Key responsibilities, accountabilities and day to day activities
The Registration Process
- Assisting in organising the student registration process at BPP University Ltd sites and allocating/planning the resources required to facilitate the registration process
- Confirming the identity of each student
- Identifying and outstanding documentation requirements and validating them where possible
Maintaining the student record
- Monitoring and processing changes to the student record from staff, faculty and other departments within BPP University Ltd.
- Maintaining an accurate, central record of information relating to students including personal details, module and group registrations, attendance, identification and qualifications documentation, correspondence etc and any changes to registration details.
Attendance and Progress
- The accurate monitoring, management and reporting of interruptions of study, transfers, suspensions and withdrawals
- The monitoring and reporting of student attendance to the relevant Deans of School and Directors of Programmes and external bodies, including the UKBA, BSB, Student Finance England etc
- The re-registering students progressing from one year/section of their course to another
- The monitoring of student module choices and the creation of student groups on the Student Records Database.
Examination and Assessment
- Planning, organising and supporting the delivery of examinations and assessments detailed in accordance with the University’s General Academic Regulations (GARs)
- Communication of information (using a variety of media including the University’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)) about examinations to staff and students including examination dates/times, venue allocation, examination procedures and conduct guidelines
- Handling queries relating to examinations and results in accordance with the GARs and in an appropriate professional manner
- Liaising with production department over assessment materials
- Liaising with the University Scheduling team for examinations and assessments, supporting the Operations Manager of the department to avoid assessment clashes
- Responsible for the accurate and timely production of materials needed for examinations
- Distributing materials to relevant centres, venues and personnel
- Arranging for the correct ordering and dispatch of examination scripts to markers
- Invigilation as needed, or the briefing and oversight of professional invigilators
- Maintaining and monitoring re-sit diary and re-sitters and pro-actively communicating with re-sitters regarding the number of sittings left, time restrictions etc
- Producing accurate registers for all examinations and assessments (liaising with the appropriate Examination and Assessment senor officers) and resolving any issues arising, filing and retrieving information
- Attending central Examination and Assessment professional development and training as required.
- Assisting in maintaining the teaching schedule on an ongoing basis, making changes as required according to business need.
- Assisting in providing a scheduling enquiry service, answering queries by telephone or email according to business need.
- Assisting in the provision of an ad-hoc rooms booking service, ensuring the optimum use of the space available.
Additional Responsibilities Applicable to the Post holder
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as required, including provision of support for other Regional Learning Centres
- Undertake all duties and responsibilities to given deadlines in compliance with the rules and regulations encompassing equal opportunities
- Occasional general support work for other activities within the Regional Learning Centres, as agreed with the line manager
- Adhere, comply and work in accordance with University and Departmental policies, procedures and codes of conduct
- Participate in training and professional development associated with the role
- Occasional weekend or evening working as directed, for which time off in lieu will be given
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- Self-disciplined with the ability to prioritise under pressure and refer matters to senior staff appropriately
- Able to build good working relationships across all levels
- Able to work in a team and independently
- Able to work under pressure, sometimes to short and competing deadlines
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Well organised
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Advanced computer literacy skills (ECDL or equivalent).
- Previous experience of working in Higher Education administration or student support services
- Knowledge of Banner, or SITS, would be an advantage