Research Assistant in Medicine
Westmead Clinical School
Job Ref No: 855/0518F
- Hone your research skills by providing technical, operational and administrative support in research activities for Westmead Applied Research Centre
- Located at Westmead Clinical School
- Full-time, fixed term for 12 months, remuneration bracket $78K p.a pro rata
About the opportunity
Provides technical, operational and administrative support to the Chief Investigator and their team to support the research activity and requirements for the work area. This includes preparing relevant materials in collaboration with team members, performing aspects of research work, and facilitating the efficient operation of the research by providing technical and operational support.
The Research Assistant will be expected to coordinate the activities associated with research projects are prepared for and run smoothly. They may also be responsible for preparing compliance reporting and storing data that is collected from research project for further analysis.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Research Assistant who:
- Has minimum 12 months of experience working in clinical research, ideally in randomised clinical trials
- Has tertiary qualifications in appropriate discipline and/or relevant experience in related field. May have (or be working towards) postgraduate qualifications.
- Can collect clinical data which may include but not be limited to: automated blood pressure and weight measurements, and other study questionnaires.
- Ensure appropriate and complete data collection, storage/archive and maintenance of study documentation
- Will support research and analysis on specific defined issues and areas of focus, under the direct/broad guidance of the Chief Investigator and senior research staff or by applying broad technical knowledge of research protocols relevant to the work area.
- Can help with the design, development and documentation of suitable research protocols
- Conducts data analysis, prepares reporting and presentations and carries out literature searches for the work area
- Ensures that ethics guidelines, standards and WHS requirements are met in the work area
- Undertakes professional develop and demonstrate commitment to University values
Please click on the link to find out more http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/westmead/research/
Westmead Clinical School was established in 1978 and since then has been a key clinical school of the University of Sydney. The unique demography of Western Sydney, with a substantial population of socially disadvantaged people and its juxtaposition with a vibrant research environment, enrich medical student training and experience. Medical students who choose to study at Westmead can expect to graduate with a well-rounded clinical experience. Teaching is delivered by clinicians including academics, hospital specialists and private practitioners, in both hospital and community settings. The Clinical School has a reputation for the high calibre of its clinical teachers and tutors who are recruited for students in all years. A high emphasis is placed on research and education.
The Westmead Applied Research Centre (ARC) is a newly established centre based in the Westmead precinct that seeks to undertake innovative clinical research and research translation by:
- Incubating clinical research trials that have a view to translation and impacting large populations
- Providing leadership in the design & evaluation of digital health intervention and digital therapeutics
Specifically, in the Westmead precinct, the Centre will foster excellent research responsive to the needs of local patients and populations by:
- providing resources, training and development across the Westmead precinct in clinical trials research
- providing services to clinicians/ researchers/ projects that meet strategic criteria e.g. large potential impact, congruent with aims/ vision of centre, demonstrable investment from originator into project ‘skin in the game’ e.g. defined research questions, assembled resources.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia’s first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Please note: visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing date: 11.30pm 31 May 2018
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.