Postdoctoral Position in Information Security
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU, https://www.ntnu.edu) invites applications for one post-doctoral position in information security connected to the Horizon2020 SMILE project (http://smile-h2020.eu/smile/). The position is affiliated with the Department of Information Security and Communication Technology (IIK, http://www.ntnu.edu/iik) at the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (IE, http://www.ntnu.no/ie). The position will be located an Gjøvik and affiliated with NTNUs Center for Cyber and Information Security (CCIS, www.ccis.no) with a duration of 2 years.
About the Department
The Department of Information Security and Communication Technology has 33 permanent scientific staff members, and in total approximately 80 employees. 50 persons work at NTNUs campus in Gjøvik and 30 at NTNUs campus in Trondheim. IIK carries out internationally competitive research organized in seven cross-disciplinary labs covering the academic areas of Internet of Things (IoT), Applied Cryptology, Intelligent Transport Systems, Quantifiable Performance and Dependability of Communication Systems, Biometry, Digital Forensics, and Information Security. The department provides teaching in BSc in IT Operations and Information Security, MSc programmes in Communication technology and Information Security, and PhD programmes in Telematics and Information Security. The department hosts and operates NTNU's Center for Cyber and Information Security, a public-private partnership with 25 members.
In October 2011, and in the context of the “Smart Border initiative”, the European Commission adopted a communication setting out the main options for using new technologies to simplify life for foreigners frequently travelling to the EU and to better monitor third-country nationals crossing the borders. By developing the SMILE framework, the project intends to provide an advanced prototype implementation showing the feasibility of such solutions and consequently to encourage EU states to move forward and adopt the relevant EU policies.
The successful candidate will work related to
- developing innovative privacy enhancing and secure mobile technologies,
- developing novel algorithms for extraction of both context-related and soft biometrics related information.
- defining the various application scenarios and use cases mainly for identity management, identity verification and in parallel for the biometric methods related to authentication, security, as well as to the increase of flow at border crossing points (BCPs).
- context-awareness and multimodal fusion
- security validation
- prototype testing
Qualifications required for the announced position
The successful candidate must satisfy the following requirements:
- A completed doctoral degree or completion within three months of starting the position in information security, computer science, or mathematics.
- Strong skills on biometrics, Image processing, Statistical pattern recognition, Computer vision and applied machine learning (deep CNN, reinforcement learning, metric learning) is a must.
- Knowledge of context related and soft biometrics is plus.
- High motivation for developing various application scenarios and use cases
- High motivation for research work and ability to work independently.
- Good organizational and communication skills with interest in wider context of own research and ability to engage in cross-disciplinary and multinational teams.
- Eagerness to disseminate research results through publications and presentations at international conferences.
- Written and oral fluency in English.
Applicants who do not master a Scandinavian language must provide evidence of good English language skills, written and spoken. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
General terms of employment
All candidates must be able to secure a residency and work permit in Norway. The university is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in employment practices, and we particularly would like to encourage female candidates to apply. The appointment is subject to the conditions in effect at any time for employees in the public sector and assessments regarding the legislations regulating export control and knowledge transfer.
The Department of Information Security and Communication Technology wants to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our ongoing research activities. We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of the gender, disability or cultural background.
The Post Doctor position is in code 1352 Research fellow, salary grade range from 57 in the Norwegian State salary scale, gross NOK 490.900 per year, depending on qualifications. A deduction of 2% is made as a statutory contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.The national labour force must reflect the composition of the population to the greatest possible extent. NTNU wants to increase the proportion of women in its scientific posts. Women are encouraged to apply.
Living and working in Gjøvik
Information can be found via the following links:
- Living in the county of Oppland: http://www.gonorway.no/norway/counties/oppland/
- Map of NTNU in Gjøvik: https://www.ntnu.edu/gjovik/how-to-get-here
- About Campus Gjøvik: http://www.ntnu.edu/gjovik
Applications will be processed through the university on-line application system (http://www.ntnu.edu/vacancies) which will direct you to www.jobbnorge.no. Candidates must submit the following documents in electronic form:
- A cover letter (1 page) explaining your motivation and how your skills and experience relate to the research focuses of the position applied for
- A draft research proposal outlining a possible approach for the position applied for (1 page).
- CV with a list of publications.
- Relevant transcripts of grades, diplomas, and certificates
- A description of the PhD work (1 page)
- Two letters of reference, preferably from academic supervisor(s).
All this must be sent electronically via www.jobbnorge.no with information about education and relevant experience (all in one combined PDF file).
Mark the application IE-109/2018.
Incomplete applications will be rejected.
For further information, please contact associate professor Sule Yildirim (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Deadline for applications: 01.06.2018
Under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his or her name entered on the list of applicants.
About this job
- Deadline Friday, June 1, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Gjøvik
- Place of service Gjøvik
- Jobbnorge ID 152755
- Internal ID 2018/13155
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!