Laboratory Engineer, Computer Science/Colourlab
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (http://www.ntnu.edu/ie) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) has a vacancy for a 100 % permanent position as a laboratory engineer/staff engineer at the Department of Computer Science (IDI) (http://www.ntnu.edu/idi). The position is with the computer science group in Gjøvik (IDI Gjøvik).
Information about the department
Currently there are 31 professors, 60 associate professors, 19 adjunct associate professors, 37 postdoctoral researchers, approx. 90 active ph.d. students, and 22 technical/administrative staff. Six of the tenured scientific positions are held by women, and eleven are from other countries than Norway. Research activities are organized into groups and strategic European and National projects as documented herehttp://www.ntnu.edu/idi/research.
Description of the computer science group in Gjøvik
The computer science group in Gjøvik at the department of Computer science (IDI) has a focus on applied computer science. There are 34 staff members at IDI Gjøvik and approximately 400 students in the computer science study programs. The research and education activities at IDI Gjøvik have in recent years increased, leading to a need for technical operation support.
IDI Gjøvik is home to the Norwegian Colour and Visual Computing Laboratory (Colourlab). The Colourlab has since its foundation risen to become an internationally leading research- and educational institution on the area of colour imaging science, image- and video processing. The Colourlab runs a spacious (>200 m2) laboratory areas for research and teaching activities. It is equipped to a high standard with Mac and PC-based computer workstations, imaging devices (digital cameras, scanners, spectral cameras), printers, color measurement instruments (spectrophotometers), software applications for image/video processing and color management, etc. Assistance in research activities normally include physical measurements or psychophysical experiments.
IDI Gjøvik has a Game Technology Lab focused on technology related to games and the development of serious games. The lab provides a good infrastructure for brain computer interfaces (EEGs), AR technologies, VR technologies (HTC Vives), and mobile computing.
Additionally, the course portfolio at IDI Gjøvik includes courses with a high degree of lab activities and use of physical and virtual infrastructure. This includes tools such as OpenStack, Atlassian tools (JIRA and Confluence), surveying tools and Amazon web services and openGL.
Work areas and scope
The position will include the following tasks:
- Technical IT-operations of physical and virtual infrastructures
- Installation, integration, maintenance, and support of software
- Troubleshooting, repair, calibration, and maintenance of existing equipment and infrastructure, as well as procurement and installation of new equipment and software packages
- Assisting with lab exercises for teaching
- Assisting in research activities
- Assisting in teaching activities from the IT support angle
- Assisting in seminars, conference, meetings, and other activities
- Give instrument training and user support
- Keeping the labs organized
- Documentation and reporting
The work areas and scope of the position could change to adapt to the needs of IDI Gjøvik.
- Bachelor or MsC in a relevant field is a requirement.
- Relevant work experience. Relevant work experience may compensate for formal education.
- A high level of IT literacy and interest in technology.
- Experience from working in a team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Fluent in English, both oral and written.
We also wish you have:
- Experience with color imaging and color measurement technologies, electrical engineering, or optics
- Experience from IT-operations
- Experience with cloud technologies
- Experience with virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR)
- Scandinavian language oral/written at a fair level.
In addition, you need to be hard working, responsible, solution oriented, practical, and service minded. We will emphasize collaborative skills, the ability to accomplish tasks, and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary research team as well as emphasis on personal aptitude, initiative, self-motivation and the candidate's motivation for the position in our assessment.
The position follows code 1085 “avdelingsingeniør”, gross kr. 404 000 - 490 900 per year, or Code 1087 “overingeniør” gross kr. 459 100 - 537 700 per year depending on qualifications. A deduction of 2% is made as a statutory contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The Department of Department of Computer Science (IDI) wants to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our ongoing research activities. We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of the gender, disability or cultural background.
The appointment is subject to the conditions in effect at any time for employees in the public sector.
Under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his or her name entered on the list of applicants.
How to apply:
Applications are to be submitted electronically through www.jobbnorge.no.
The application should contain the following attachments:
- Application letter stating your motivation for applying to this position and why you consider yourself a successful candidate for this position
- Overview of your education and work experience (CV)
- Certified copies of educational transcripts and other relevant documents
- Two references (names and contact information)
For further information about the position, please contact Professor Marius Pedersen, phone +47 61 13 5246, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mark the application IE 113-2018
Deadline for applications: 31.05.2018
About this job
- Deadline Thursday, May 31, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Gjøvik
- Jobbnorge ID 152967
- Internal ID 2018/13858
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Permanent
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!