Research Engineer, Signal Processing and Machine Learning System
Industry Research Project, Defence
Melbourne School of Engineering
- Candidates must hold Australian Citizenship to apply for security clearance
- As an inherent requirement of the role, candidates must undergo, acquire and maintain security clearance from the Australia Government, Department of Defence
The Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE) is one of Australia’s leading Engineering Schools and aims to be the school of choice for the highest performing students and research staff in Australia. We are an innovative School known for our strong teaching and experientially based research.
As part of our MSE 2025 Strategy, we are strengthening our expertise in defence science and technology. The Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering in conjunction with other Departments and Faculties across the University is enhancing its engagement with US and Australian Defence agencies and defence industry.
The Advanced RF Detection Project Team is now looking for a qualified Research Engineer experienced in signal processing, machine learning and the ability to work with real data.
The University of Melbourne is working with the Department of Defence on the development of a novel microwave device that detects objects underground. This project is in collaboration with a high-tech defence firm in Melbourne.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collecting data from an experimental RF Systems device
- Develop signal processing algorithms to precondition data
- Develop machine learning and sensor algorithms in Matlab
- Providing system integration and design support for the project
Skills & Experienced Required:
- You will have strong experimental and/or practical experience in an engineering research environment
- Must have signal processing and machine learning algorithm experience
- Expert experience with Matlab and ideally using real data
- Experience working in industry and/or university research is preferable
- Experience working in defence industry or government research laboratories will be highly regarded but not essential
More of who you are:
You will have exceptional communication skills and the ability to engage with industry, government and university stakeholders at all levels. You will be able to present clear presentations and write concise and clear reports and/or proposals. Ideally, you have worked in similar research engineering roles in complex organisations and can demonstrate your end-to-end execution of large research projects.
Sound like you?
If we’ve got your interest and you think you’ve got what it takes, we encourage you to apply online.
Lodging your application
Please submit both your Cover Letter & Resume. With your application, we ask that you provide a brief one-page response that references the selection criteria.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/search/info/selection-criteria
Whilst we review your application; we encourage you to get to know us more by visiting our website www.eng.unimelb.edu.au and our social media platforms.
Close date: 3 June 2018
Position Description and Selection Criteria