Lecturer, Australian Sign Language
- Utilise your communication and academic skills together with your ability to interact effectively with people from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Part-time (0.6), continuing role based at our Melbourne (Bundoora) campus
- $90,748 - $107,758 per annum plus up to 17% superannuation
About La Trobe
La Trobe University’s success is driven by people who are committed to making a difference. They are creative and highly motivated, pursue new ideas and create knowledge. La Trobe is one of Australia’s research leaders, and the largest provider of higher education to regional Victoria. La Trobe University turned 50 in 2017, and over the half century of its existence it has established a reputation as an innovative and accessible university, willing to take risks and take on challenges. Our teaching and research address some of the most significant issues of our time and we’re passionate about driving change through operational excellence to benefit the communities we serve.
The Department of Languages and Linguistics is seeking to appoint a Lecturer in Australian Sign Language. Candidates with a background in Auslan teaching or Sign Language Linguistics are particularly sought.
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences has an international reputation for the quality of its teaching and research programs. It is guided by the core values identified by the University in the operation of its research, scholarship, teaching and organisational practices. Auslan is one of eight language majors taught at La Trobe and attracts a strong cohort of students at both Beginners and Advanced levels.
About the role
A Level B teaching and research academic is expected to develop curriculum, teach and undertake research or other scholarly work relevant to the development of their discipline or professional field. In this role you will:
- Develop, coordinate and teach a high-quality learning experience that engages students through the conduct of lectures, tutorials, practical classes, demonstrations, workshops, student field excursions, and the use of online supporting materials.
- Demonstrate a scholarly approach to learning and teaching and contribute to disciplinary teaching pedagogy and research. Plus participate in innovative course level curriculum design, development and review.
- Conduct and publish, or otherwise disseminate high quality and/or high impact research as a member of a team or independently and produce conference/seminar papers and publications from that research.
- Co-supervise or, where appropriate supervise Higher Degree by Research (HDR) postgraduate students as required.
Skills & Experience
To succeed in this role you will have completed a PhD as appropriate for the discipline area and possess demonstrated experience in areas including, but not limited to:
- Demonstrated competence in Auslan teaching and curriculum development.
- Demonstrated capacity for teaching innovation, including use of new technologies and associated pedagogies to enhance teaching and learning.
- Evidence of high-quality and/or high-impact research conducted and published or otherwise disseminated, relative to opportunity.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise, or co-supervise, honours and postgraduate students.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and productively with staff and students from a diverse range of backgrounds.
Please refer to the Position Description for other skills and experience required for this role.
How to Apply
Closing date: Sunday 3 June 2018 (11:55pm).
Position Enquiries: Professor James Walker, Head of Department, Head of Department, Languages & Linguistics Melbourne +61 3 9479 6355 / firstname.lastname@example.org
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
Please address Key Selection Criteria from the attached position description and attach these with your application.
Please scroll down to apply.
La Trobe University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For further enquiries on how to apply for this role, please contact HR Assist on +61 3 9479 1234.
To apply and to view position description please visit http://www.latrobe.edu.au/jobs and search for job no (553390) under current vacancies.
La Trobe is proud to be a member of the SAGE Athena SWAN program to advance gender equality in academia.