PhD Position in Mathematical Cognition
There is a temporary position as PhD candidate in mathematical cognition available in the research group for mathematical cognition at the Department of Teacher Education. This is a recruitment position to provide promising researchers the opportunity for professional development through studies towards a PhD degree. The position will be connected to a PhD-program at NTNU that suits the candidate’s qualifications. The Department of Teacher Education will be the employer.
Project start is September 1st , 2018 or as soon as possible.
The position is associated with the project "Mathematical reasoning with cognitive technology" funded by the Research Council of Norway.
The main aim of the project is to develop models of mathematical reasoning and problem solving that can a) advance theories of mathematical cognition and b) lead to new technology for supporting mathematical learning on digital platforms.
The cross-disciplinary project combines empirical and computational research at the intersection between mathematics education, cognitive sciences, and artificial intelligence.
The candidate will contribute to both empirical investigations of mathematical reasoning and the development of computational models for mathematical cognition, with a focus on the area that best reflects the candidate’s qualifications and interests.
The candidate will be a part of the research group for mathematical cognition at the Department for Teacher Education at NTNU. The project is a collaboration between researchers from NTNU, Stanford University, Rutgers University, and Education Development Center.
Please contact us for more information about the project.
- The position is part of the project "Mathematical reasoning with cognitive technology"
- The position is to contribute to empirical and theoretical investigations of mathematical cognition.
- The appointment can be for a period of three years or four years. A four-year appointment includes teaching duties at the institute for a total of one year over the four-year period.
- A master’s degree in a relevant field, like education science, psychology, mathematics, computer science, or similar education to equivalent level
- A strong academic record. For the last two years of the master’s degree, a weighted average grade of B or higher is required
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of process-oriented approaches to learning is an advantage
- Experience with machine learning and/or neural networks is an advantage
We are looking for a candidate who is self motivated, solution oriented, and motivated to contribute to a friendly work environment.
Salary and Working Conditions
The PhD position is remunerated according to code 1017 in the salary scale for Norwegian state employees, starting at gross NOK 436 900 per year, of which 2 % is deducted for the State Pension Scheme.
Employment in a PhD position requires admission to a PhD program at NTNU. Relevant PhD programs can be found at the Faculty of Social and Educational Sciences or the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering depending on the candidate’s qualifications.
Application should include:
- A description of research interests related to the project.
- CV, recommendations, certificates and diplomas.
- Publications and other relevant scientific work.
- Contact information for at least two references
Joint work will be evaluated. If it is difficult to identify the contributions from individuals in a joint piece of work, applicants should enclose a short descriptive summary of what he/she contributed to the work.
Information about the applicants may be open to public inspection as provided by the Freedom of Information Act.
Diversity is important to a good work environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender, disabilities, and cultural background.
For further information about the position, contact the project leader, Associate Professor Trygve Solstad, at +47 95 25 89 17 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about processing of applications, please contact HR, Aaste Line Strand, e-mail: email@example.com
An application including attachments should be sent electronically through: www.jobbnorge.no.
ABOUT THIS JOB
- Deadline Friday, June 1, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Kalvskinnet
- Jobbnorge ID 152899
- Internal ID 2018/12415
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!