Research Engineer, Advanced Antenna System
Industry Research Project, Defence
Melbourne School of Engineering
- Candidates must hold Australian Citizenship to apply for security clearance
- As an inherent requirement of the role, candidates must undergo, acquire and maintain security clearance from the Australia Government, Department of Defence
The Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE) is one of Australia’s leading Engineering Schools and aims to be the school of choice for the highest performing students and research staff in Australia. We are an innovative School known for our strong teaching and experientially based research. Step into our world where great minds collide and see how MSE connects people with ideas.
As part of our MSE 2025 Strategy, we are strengthening our expertise in defence science and technology. The Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering in conjunction with other Departments and Faculties across the University is enhancing its engagement with US and Australian Defence agencies and defence industry.
The MSE Antenna Project Team is now seeking an experienced Research Engineer with strong systems engineering and project management experience to run complex multidisciplinary projects.
University of Melbourne is working with the Department of Defence on novel antenna technology that involves advanced materials, new antenna element design, advanced RF hardware and embedded computation.
You will ideally have industry experience having previously worked in a defence science and engineering environment.
What you’ll be doing:
- Managing engineering and research teams across multiple universities and organisations
- Work in partnership with the Technical Director and Project Director
- Provide systems integration and design support for the project
- Own and run large scale and complex projects
- Systems Engineering for large projects
What you need:
- Australia Citizenship to undergo, acquire and maintain security clearance from the Australian Government, Department of Defence
- PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or relevant industry experience
- Demonstrated experience in an engineering research environment
- Proven leadership skills and ability to lead multi-disciplinary engineering and research teams
- Experience in systems engineering
- Project management experience running large scale research projects
- Extensive experience using digital and analogue electronics
- Skilled experience in software development
- Experience working in industry and/or university research is preferable
- Experience working in defence industry or government research laboratories will be highly regarded but not essential
More about you:
You’re not afraid of change and you put your hand up to lead. You will be someone who will motivate, drive and lead teams across complex environments. You will be able to present clear presentations and write concise and clear reports and/or proposals. With an eye for detail, your stakeholders see you as the expert. Ideally, you have worked in similar research engineering roles in complex organisations and can demonstrate your end-to-end execution of large research projects.
Sound like you?
If we’ve got your interest and you think you’ve got what it takes, we encourage you to apply online.
Lodging your application
Please submit both your Cover Letter & Resume. With your application, we ask that you provide a brief one-page response that references the selection criteria. For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/search/info/selection-criteria
Whilst we review your application; we encourage you to get to know us more by visiting our website www.eng.unimelb.edu.au and our social media platforms.
Close date: 30 May 2018
Position Description and Selection Criteria