Senior Research Fellow in Defence Biotechnologies
Industry Research Project, Defence
Melbourne School of Engineering
- Candidates must hold Australian Citizenship to apply for security clearance
- As an inherent requirement of the role, candidates must undergo, acquire and maintain security clearance from the Australia Government, Department of Defence
The Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE) is one of Australia’s leading Engineering Schools and aims to be the school of choice for the highest performing students and research staff in Australia. We are an innovative School known for our strong teaching and experientially based research. Step into our world where great minds collide and see how MSE connects people with ideas.
As part of our MSE 2025 Strategy, we are strengthening our expertise in defence science and technology. The Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering in conjunction with other Departments and Faculties across the University is enhancing its engagement with US and Australian Defence agencies and defence industry.
You will play a leading role in developing an exciting research program in defence engineering and technology addressing the Australian Defence science priorities to enhance the Department of Defence engagement and help build collaborative partnerships with leading international and national research institutions and industries. The role will have a strong outreach component to Defence Science and Technology Group as well as international (primarily US) collaborators.
As a senior research fellow, you will have a focus on building partnerships to further enhance our defence research and engagement opportunities in Medical Countermeasures and Enhanced Human Performance.
Given the nature of this work, as a minimum you may be required to obtain and hold a Defence NV1 Security Clearance.
What you need:
- Australia Citizenship to undergo, acquire and maintain security clearance from the Australian Government, Department of Defence
- A research doctorate or equivalent in Medicine, Science or Engineering or/other relevant field
- A strong record of successful interaction with (and funding support from) industry, government organisations and/or national competitive grant schemes
- Demonstrated excellence in engagement with defence end-users, industry as well as providing high quality academic leadership in research, leading interdisciplinary teams and effectively managing research staff and students
- Drive and lead the research portfolio and projects in the bio-medtech area in defence
- Manage all staff and contractors, assigned to undertake research strategy support and other engagement activities
More about you:
You will have an outstanding research record and must demonstrate vision, leadership, experience and enthusiasm to build on current strengths in maintaining and developing a leading research presence and partnerships.
Sound like you?
If we’ve got your interest and you think you’ve got what it takes, we encourage you to apply online.
Lodging your application
Please submit both your Cover Letter & Resume. With your application, we ask that you provide a brief one-page response that references the key selection criteria.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/search/info/selection-criteria
Whilst we review your application; we encourage you to get to know us more by visiting our website www.eng.unimelb.edu.au and our social media platforms.
Close date: 30 May 2018
Position Description and Selection Criteria