Laboratory Technician, 3D Fabrication
Department of Architecture and Urban Planning
Qatar University profile :
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Established in 1980, the College of Engineering offers programs in the fields of Architecture, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical and Computer Science engineering with the primary goal of preparing Qatari engineers with outstanding scientific and technical competencies to enable them to participate and contribute in the various developmental aspects of the country.
The recent rapid development of Qatar is associated with a fast track urbanization process, marked by large scale work, learning and residential environments, and mixed use developments with sustained attempts to strike a balance between tradition and modernity. The unprecedented growth in the building and urban development industry, already considered the second largest industry in the state of Qatar—following the Oil and Gas industries, has created a pressing demand for architects and planners with specialized training to design, plan and direct the activities of the industry.
As part of the Department of Architecture and Urban Planning-DAUP, a Bachelor of Architecture degree program started in September 2009, a Master of Urban Planning and Design started in 2010, and a Ph.D. program in Architecture and Urban Planning started in 2013. The undergraduate program is a five year professional program that aims to prepare students for the architectural profession leadership positions. Its main objective is to graduate architects who can play multiple roles in the design, building and construction industry within Qatari society and can compete with their counterparts, while positioning themselves distinctively in a competitive global market.
The programs offers a broader foundation and is designed to carefully strike a balance between knowledge acquisition and assimilation, design creativity and practicality, analysis and synthesis, problem formulation and problem solving, and creativity and critical thinking. These qualities are reflected in rigorous and demanding curriculum that integrates lectures and studio experience at the intersection of culture, society, technology and environment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Department of Architecture and Urban Planning has a vacancy for: A Laboratory Technician [3D Fabrication Lab]
The successful candidates are expected to hold a Bachelor Degree in Architecture or Architectural Engineering or Bachelor Degree in these fields but with significant experience in managing laboratories and assisting undergraduate students in laboratory use. Experience in using and supporting use of basic traditional and modern Digital tools by students in classrooms and design studios is required. Experience in 3D Fabrication is a must, and all other related aspects are important to the position. Candidate must have a good command of the English language. Knowledge of and experience in building systems and architectural and building engineering would also be an advantage.
Successful applicants should be able to:
- High skills and experience in 3D fabrication
- Be proficient in architectural software such as AutoCAD, Revit, 3Ds Max, Adobe Photoshop etc., and in modelling and parametric design
- Manage laboratories and ensuring that the right equipment, tools and other materials are adequately stocked and kept in working condition.
- Ensure that assigned laboratories are always kept in a functional state to support instruction activities
- Initiate process for upgrading laboratories in consultation with the Head of Department, including identifying necessary equipment, placing order for equipment and follow up in the purchase, delivery and installation process
- Manage the process of acquiring consumables for use in the operation of the laboratory
- Support all courses that have laboratory components in their instruction
- Assist with laboratory work in laboratory-based courses such as Architectural Graphics: Manual and Digital Applications and in Building Systems Design including Construction
- Provide administrative support to department by helping in scheduling laboratories, documentation of course material, and budget preparation for laboratory equipment and consumables.
- Support in digital and laser printing work and in assembly of models by staff and students
- Assist in field-based teaching visits.
- Occasionally set up practical demonstrations for use of equipment by staff and faculty in an appropriate and safe manner
- Ensure that safety is always promoted in the use of laboratories and equipment
- Help to maintain compliance with health, safety and security regulations
- Assist in field-based teaching visits.
- Keep office hours and assist students with their queries.
- Assist in preparing course files.
- Participate in committees at the departmental level.
- Assist in research projects, though priority must be given to teaching duties.
- Assist the departments in preparations for open days, alumni events, exhibitions, and student competitions.
- Perform other work assigned by the head of department.
- University online application;
- Curriculum vitae with cover letter;
- Degree certificate and transcript; and
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Competitive tax-free salary;
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies;
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents in accordance with QU HR policies;
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies;
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members in accordance with QU HR policies
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies;
- End-of-contract indemnity in accordance with QU HR policies.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.