Teaching Assistant in Architecture
Department of Architecture and Urban Planning
Qatar University profile :
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Established in 1980, the College of Engineering offers programs in the fields of Architecture, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical and Computer Science engineering with the primary goal of preparing Qatari engineers with outstanding scientific and technical competencies to enable them to participate and contribute in the various developmental aspects of the country.
The recent rapid development of Qatar is associated with a fast track urbanization process, marked by large scale work, learning and residential environments, and mixed use developments with sustained attempts to strike a balance between tradition and modernity. The unprecedented growth in the building and urban development industry, already considered the second largest industry in the state of Qatar—following the Oil and Gas industries, has created a pressing demand for architects and planners with specialized training to design, plan and direct the activities of the industry.
As part of the Department of Architecture and Urban Planning-DAUP, a Bachelor of Architecture degree program started in September 2009, a Master of Urban Planning and Design started in 2010, and a Ph.D. program in Architecture and Urban Planning started in 2013. The undergraduate program is a five year professional program that aims to prepare students for the architectural profession leadership positions. Its main objective is to graduate architects who can play multiple roles in the design, building and construction industry within Qatari society and can compete with their counterparts, while positioning themselves distinctively in a competitive global market.
The programs offers a broader foundation and is designed to carefully strike a balance between knowledge acquisition and assimilation, design creativity and practicality, analysis and synthesis, problem formulation and problem solving, and creativity and critical thinking. These qualities are reflected in rigorous and demanding curriculum that integrates lectures and studio experience at the intersection of culture, society, technology and environment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Department of Architecture and Urban Planning has a vacancy for:Teaching Assistant in Architecture
Successful applicants should be able to:
- Actively participate in design studio teaching and instruction.
- Develop teaching material under faculty supervision.
- Give occasional tutorials to students.
- Grade assignments and term papers (with solutions and grading scheme provided by instructor).
- Assist in field-based teaching visits.
- Keep office hours and assist students with their queries.
- Teach and supervise theory & laboratory-based courses such as Architectural Graphics: Manual and Digital Applications and in Building Systems Design including Construction Technology, HVAC, and Acoustics and Lighting Systems
- Be proficient in architectural software such as Revit, 3Ds Max, Rhino, Adobe Photoshop etc., and in modelling and parametric design
- Assist in preparing course files.
- Participate in committees at the departmental level and provide necessary administrative support to the department by helping in scheduling laboratories, documentation of course material, and budget preparation for laboratory equipment and consumables.
- Assist in research projects, though priority must be given to teaching and support duties.
- Assist the departments in preparations for open days, alumni events, exhibitions, and student competitions.
- Perform other work assigned by the head of department.
The successful candidates are expected to hold a Master Degree in Architecture or Architectural Engineering or Bachelor Degree in these fields but with significant experience in teaching and advising undergraduate students. Experience in using modern Digital tools in classrooms and design studios, along with Modelling and BIM skills and a good command of the English language are essential. Professional practice experience in design, construction and building systems would be advantageous. Relevant professional experience as well as skills in 3D analog and digital fabrication is required. Knowledge of recent technologies, software and 3D thinking skills and design platforms are important for this position.
- University online application;
- Curriculum vitae with cover letter;
- Degree certificate and transcript; and
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Competitive tax-free salary;
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies;
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents in accordance with QU HR policies;
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies;
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members in accordance with QU HR policies
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies;
- End-of-contract indemnity in accordance with QU HR policies.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.