Deputy Director for Non Formal Education
The Deputy Director for Non Formal Education will provide quality support to the Director of the National Training & Productivity Centre, and be responsible for providing community-based non formal skills training in rural, remote, peri-urban and urban areas. The training emphases are in the technical vocational, hospitality, communication and sustainable livelihood areas. Specific course areas are: Carpentry, Joinery, Plumbing, Domestic electrical wiring, Sewing, Screen printing, Floriculture, Child Care, Elderly Care, Fiberglass boat repair, cookery, patisserie, communication skills, domestic biogas and domestic solar installation and repair and small business.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Overall Management of the Division of Non Formal Education
- Strategic planning, scheduling; implementation, monitoring and reviewing of all activities of the Division
- Ensuring that the main government project (SLP) is planned and implemented for Fiji's rural and maritime areas
- Ensuring that the urban Non Formal courses are planned and implemented effectively
- Ensuring that training is targeted for meeting specific needs of individuals and communities in both urban and rural.
- Delivering and meeting the specific expectations of funding partners (Fiji Government and Fiji National University) in terms of number of trainings and number of individuals to be trained.
- Delivering trainings for Method B throughout Fiji
- Paving pathways from Non Formal courses to formal courses at NTPC and FNU
- Ensuring that the Division achieves its expected outcomes
- Ensuring compliance to FNU policies and procedures
- Ensuring quality standards are met
- Ensuring that SOPs are followed and adhered to by all staff of the division
- Ensuring that budgetary guidelines are followed
This is a Senior level appointment, and the incumbent reporting to the Director, NTPC would be expected to provide strategic leadership and direction, act as a change agent, coach and mentor, manage accounts and promote productivity and innovation in the country. Other duties will include preparing board papers and reports, setting and maintaining industry standards, review of training, divisional activities including financials and HR matters, programs networking and advising industry as required and ensuring compliance to all academic and student regulations and ensuring the overall smooth operations of the division.
Bachelor’s degree and relevant postgraduate qualification in Education, Business Administration, Hospitality or Engineering
15 years of experience at a senior level in tertiary institution or industry training and development, must have proven experience in community, rural, non-formal education, including:
- The capacity to develop and implement strategy and to initiate and implement change in a complex, multicultural environment.
- The ability to identify and assess appropriate opportunities and partnerships to strengthen the resource base and reputation of the organization.
- Experience in effective management of staff and financial resources.
- The capacity to work across organizational boundaries to achieve agreed corporate outcomes.
- Proven experience in community, rural, non-formal education.
- Some TVET quality assurance work experience and extensive leadership and decision making skills and be able to command respect and support from his/her team.
Leadership style, empowering others, making decisions:
An effective, culturally-sensitive leadership style that addresses the challenges of the role, while promoting the values of transparency, equity and accountability. Evidence of the ability to mentor and empower direct reports and take informed, evidence-based decisions.
Planning and managing for results:
Experience of developing strategic and operational plans and demonstrable success in implementing such plans, with evidence of evaluation and corrective action as necessary.
Influencing and networking skills:
Demonstrable ability to influence the decisions, actions or perceptions of others. The ability to build collaborative networks and deep collaborative links with key stakeholder groups in a multicultural environment.
The ability to organize and present information, views and concepts in a concise, understandable, interesting and culturally-aware format for a variety of audiences, in a way which ensures that staff and stakeholders are consulted and well-informed.
- Qualifications: Master’s Degree in Education, Business Administration, Hospitality or Engineering with at least 10 years’ experience at a senior level in tertiary institution or industry training and development, must have proven experience in community, rural, non-formal education
- Certification: TOTS / Certificate IV in Training & Assessment
- Association: Membership of a relevant professional body (eg, Fiji Human Resources Institute).
- Knowledge of the Training Industry: An understanding of the training industry in Fiji. Some knowledge of both post-secondary technical and vocational education, as well as higher education.
All applications are to include:
- A covering letter of application addressing each criterion of the person specifications above, evidencing how your qualifications and experience meet the criteria. This covering letter will form the main basis for shortlisting. Failure to provide this covering letter will result in your application not being considered.
- A detailed CV and certified copies of all academic transcripts, three referees, with full contact details, including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses. Candidate should state their relationship with each referee (eg, line manager, former postgraduate supervisor)
Applications must be received no later than 3rd June 2018.
Applications must be submitted online using the University’s online job applications system which can be accessed at this address: waf.fnu.ac.fj/eoi/ or e-mailed: firstname.lastname@example.org
To explore the post further or for any queries you may have, please contact:
Dharmend Chand| Deputy Manager Peoples Sourcing & Placement| Division of Human Resources| Tel: + (679) 3394000 ext. 2639, Email: DMPSP@fnu.ac.fj
An attractive salary commensurate with qualifications and abilities will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
Applications must be submitted online using the University’s online job applications system which can be accessed at this address: waf.fnu.ac.fj/eoi/
Incomplete applications will not be considered, therefore your submission as a complete application must include:
- Cover letter with Job Ref. No. and Position
- Detailed CV with at least contacts of 3 referees
- Certified academic credentials & transcripts
Should you have any queries, please email on: email@example.com
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted by Fiji National University, then your application has not been successful.
Department of Administration
Suva - Narere