Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Science Communication
- Seize this exciting opening and join our research-intensive School of Biological Sciences staff at UWA
- Deliver our vibrant Science Communication program with particular emphasis on biological, agricultural, environmental and geographical science
- Rare opportunity for a tenurable appointments
- Salary range: Level B $96,210 - $114,250 p.a. or Level C $117,857 - $135,900 p.a.
Faculty of Science
School of Biological Sciences
The Faculty of Science is internationally renowned for its excellence in teaching and research. The University of Western Australia is rated above world standard in 38 fields of research, and 79% of these are a science field. The diverse nature of our faculty gives unique opportunities for research and student training. The Faculty is therefore well positioned to play a leading role in defining Australia’s future.
About the School
The School of Biological Sciences has over 80 high-calibre staff delivering world-class education and research programs to approximately 600 undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students as well as supervising ~100 PhD students. The School is research-intensive with expertise in the disciplines of Computational Biology, Ecology & Conservation, Evolutionary Biology, Neuroscience and Science Communication, a discipline that explores and evaluates how scientists communicate science to its many publics. The School also hosts the Centre for Evolutionary Biology and has strong links with other Schools in the Faculty of Science.
About the opportunity
The School has developed a vibrant Science Communication education program and wishes to attract an exceptional individual to develop and strengthen its education and research expertise, as well as its international profile. The appointee will work closely with the School of Agriculture and Environment to deliver Science Communication education, research and community engagement programs with particular emphasis on biological, agricultural, environmental and geographical science.
The successful appointee will provide exceptional academic leadership in education, research and community engagement in Science Communication. You will lead the coordination and delivery of undergraduate and postgraduate education as well as curriculum development and also undertake nationally and internationally competitive research.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- PhD in a relevant discipline
- A commitment to innovative development and delivery of high quality education. Previous tertiary experience in Science Communication education is essential.
- Engagement with, and impact in, communities beyond the workplace
- Ability to think analytically to solve problems as well as drive change including contributions to service including committees or boards within the University environment and externally. Leadership should also include mentorship to support others’ success and career development
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment with highly developed written and verbal communication skills, organisational skills and demonstrated ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
The successful appointee will have a PhD in a relevant discipline and an excellent research track record, in Science Communication with evidence of scholarly research and communication including attracting external competitive funding and an excellent publication track record. An experience in the assessment of research engagement and impact will be highly considered.
Closing date: Friday, 1 June 2018
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Full details of the position’s responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description and applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria. A teaching portfolio is recommended evidence of teaching experience.
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion of the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.