Ph.D. Fellowship in Unconventional Computation
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) has a vacancy for a Ph.D. fellowship at the Department of Electronic Systems (IES). The position will contribute to the SOCRATES (Self-Organizing Computational substRATES) research project, funded by the Norwegian Research Council (NFR). The appointment is for a term of three years, or four years with teaching duties equivalent to 25%. This is a researcher training position aimed at providing promising researcher recruits the opportunity of academic development in the form of a doctoral degree.
Information about the department
The position is located at the Department of Electronic Systems (IES), part of the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (IE). IES has currently about 165 full-time employees spread across 45 professors/associate professors, 70 PhD students, 25 research associates/Post-Docs and 25 engineering/administration.
The position is connected to the SOCRATES project, a multidisciplinary project including computer science, neuroscience, and nanotechnology, seeking a radical breakthrough toward efficient and powerful data analysis. The project aims at creating a theoretical and experimental foundation of morphogenetic systems based on self-organizing and emergent behavior in biological neural nets and ensembles of nanomagnets. The SOCRATES core team will consist of five Ph.D. students, one postdoc, and five senior researchers from NTNU and OsloMet.
This Ph.D. fellowship is within nanotechnology with particular focus on the design, realization, and characterization of ensembles of interacting nanomagnetic elements which can sustain complex dynamics. This challenging research involves several advanced technologies for materials synthesis, cleanroom processing of nano-devices, and magnetic domain imaging on the nanoscale as well as micromagnetic modelling.
The candidate must have a M.Sc. degree within nanotechnology, physics, or other relevant disciplines.
The ideal candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Experience with characterization of nanomagnetic systems.
- Experience with micromagnetic modelling.
- Experience with cleanroom processing (micro- or nanofabrication).
- Demonstrated research capability.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly acquire knowledge in new topics.
We also require excellent written and oral communication skills. For candidates who are neither native English speakers nor from Scandinavia, the following tests can be used as documentation for English skills: TOEFL, Academic IELTS and Cambridge CAE or CPE.
Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
The applicant’s suitability to hold a scientific position will be emphasized in the selection process.
Appointments are made in accordance with the regulations in force regarding terms of employment for Ph.D. candidates issued by the Ministry of Education and Research, with relevant parts of the additional guidelines for appointment as a Ph.D. candidate at NTNU.
Applicants must undertake to participate in an organized Ph.D. programme of study during their period of employment. The person who is appointed must comply with the conditions that apply at any time to employees in the public sector. In addition, a contract will be signed regarding the period of employment. Applicants must be qualified for admission as Ph.D. student at NTNU. See http://www.ime.ntnu.no/forskning/phd for information about Ph.D. studies at NTNU.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and assessments regarding the legislations regulating export control. The positions adhere to the Norwegian Government’s policy of balanced ethnicity, age, and gender. Women are encouraged to apply.
The position is in code 1017 Research fellow, and are normally remunerated at gross NOK 436 900 before tax. There will be a 2 % deduction to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from gross wage.
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering wants to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our ongoing research activities. We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of the gender, disability or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the number of women in its workforce, and female candidates are therefore encouraged to apply.
Under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his or her name entered on the list of applicants.
The application must contain
- A one-page cover letter including an explanation of how your research interests and background would fit the position.
- Information about education and relevant experience (academic CV).
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates. (Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to attach a diploma supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree.)
- Names and contact information of at least two references
Incomplete applications may not be taken into consideration.
The application must be sent electronically as one combined PDF file via this page (Jobbnorge.no).
For further information, please contact Associate Professor Erik Folven, e-mail: email@example.com, phone +47 94437094
Mark the application IE 101/2018
Deadline for application: 28.05.2018
ABOUT THIS JOB
- Deadline Monday, May 28, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Trondheim
- Jobbnorge ID 152265
- Internal ID 2018/12678
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!