Instructor, Assistant Professor, or Associate Professor of Public Health Practice in Data Science
The Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) at the American University of Beirut has ambitious goals to expand its teaching and research programs in biostatistics, epidemiology, and data science and seeks to recruit dynamic scholars to support its Center for Research on Population and Health and its new Master’s in Biostatistics, and PhD in Epidemiology programs.
The Faculty’s Center for Research on Population and Health (CRPH) seeks to recruit an Instructor, Assistant Professor, or Associate Professor of Public Health Practice in Data Science to provide support to the Center and to FHS more generally. The Center supports research on issues at the intersection of population and health in Lebanon, the region, and internationally, and disseminates findings to scientists, policymakers, and the public. The Center has led a multi-disciplinary research program on a variety of regional public health issues. Members and affiliates combine expertise in particular public health issues with a concern for social determinants of health and how new evidence can contribute to policies and interventions to improve health. Further information on the Center can be found here.
The incumbent will oversee a portfolio of research projects at the Center in addition to contributing to the development of new research projects including large grant proposals at the Faculty of Health Sciences.
Responsibilities will include:
1. Support and undertake high quality research, including contributing to drafting major grant proposals and/or leading on drafting small grant proposals;
2. Lead and manage the technical aspects of data management and data collection for a broad range of epidemiological studies including:
- Designing and maintaining databases;
- Devising and setting up data entry formats, including through electronic entry using tablets and other devices;
- Training of data managers and research assistants as necessary;
3. Identify data needs and support developments to improve systems in the short and longer term;
4. Respond to complex or sensitive data requests;
5. Develop databases and analyze datasets with appropriate methods to answer research questions;
6. Manage and supervise research staff and students in the development of outputs and statistical analysis;
7. Keep abreast of scientific literature on the development of guidelines for optimal data collection and data management;
8. Ensure compliance with Information Governance standards, including ethical, legal and technical obligations for protection of research subject information;
9. Contribute to peer-reviewed publications;
10. Contribute to the supervision of student research projects, as appropriate to qualifications and experience;
11. Develop a capacity building program for colleagues and stakeholders on data management and analysis, and support training activities at CRPH.
Candidates are expected to have a Master's Degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics/Statistics, IT or discipline related to data science and at least 7 years of experience, or a PhD in Epidemiology, Biostatistics/Statistics, IT or discipline related to data science and at least 2 years of experience. Successful candidates will have strong organizational skills, a proven ability to problem-solve, and knowledge and experience in database creation, development and management. Experience of work in low and middle income countries, and in the design of epidemiological studies and/or writing grant proposals is preferred.
Interested candidates should submit their applications including a cover letter indicating the position they wish to be considered for, their research and teaching interests, a curriculum vitae, and contact information for three referees to Dean Iman Nuwayhid (firstname.lastname@example.org) copied to Ms. Mona Katul (email@example.com). Visiting positions at all levels may be considered. Review of applications will start on June 1, 2018 for a starting date of August 15, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. The American University of Beirut is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.