Associate Professor in Communication Studies, Digital Media/Digital Communication
2 days left
- Full Time
- Communication Studies is a high performing School ranked in the top 200 (QS rankings 2018)
- Seeking a leader in the integration of professional practice and media & communication theory
- Opportunity to make significant contributions to the School's evolving academic environment and research culture
- Permanent, full-time position based at AUT City Campus in the heart of Auckland
Auckland University of Technology (AUT) is a young and dynamic university that offers a stimulating teaching and research environment with strong connections to business and industry. Its commitment to education and research makes AUT a significant communications provider at the forefront of international thinking and practice-based research.
With 25 years of high-profile success, the School of Communication Studies is proud to be the best in New Zealand and beyond. The School has approximately 1200 EFTS and 70 staff, with a strong undergraduate base and an expanding postgraduate department. The curriculum spans the undergraduate Bachelor of Communication Studies and postgraduate programmes including Postgraduate Certificate and Diplomas, Master of Communication Studies, MPhil and PhD.
The School seeks candidates with demonstrated specialist expertise to fill an Associate Professor position. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to both the teaching and the research culture of the School, with a particular emphasis on preserving the vital link between professional practice and the best practice examples of media education and research, nationally and internationally.
Applicants for this position are expected to be proficient in several areas of digital media practice, creative production, digital communication theory and related disciplines. Applicants will demonstrate advanced knowledge of and skills in several digital media/digital communication areas including digital visual communication; online, interactive and mobile media; digital user engagement; motion media; transnarrative; digital strategies; and practice-based methodologies relevant to digital communication practice.
Applicants for the position will be expected to have the following skills/expertise/experience:
- A PhD in a relevant field
- A publication record of high quality outputs and collaborations
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience
- Industry experience and/or industry collaboration
- Advanced expertise in relevant disciplines of media/communication theory and practice in relevant media/communication/culture industries
- Expert engagement with digital change in the communication industries
- Curriculum development, design and implementation
- Excellence in supervision of practice-based postgraduate projects and mentoring of emergent researchers
- Skilled use of digital technology in learning and teaching practice
Candidates are expected to bring a solid history of teaching and supervision excellence as well as a mature, engaged and collegial outlook. Ideally, candidates will have expertise and experience in designing, implementing and successfully concluding postgraduate practice-based projects.
The School of Communication Studies is equipped with award-winning modern facilities and has great potential for growth within a young university that offers the opportunity to be creative and research-oriented.
If you are keen to be a part of a high performing school and to help retain our reputation whilst building a sense of identity for the next generation of communicators then this is the opportunity you have been looking for.
For a confidential discussion call Alycia Hurley, Senior Recruitment Consultant on +64 9 921 9207.
Applications Close: 27 May at 10.30pm NZST
Auckland University of Technology is an EEO employer, we are committed to the Treaty of Waitangi and to equity. AUT aspires to be the University of choice for Maori and Pacific communities.
Please note that all applications must be submitted through the online application process. For further information, please contact Alycia Hurley firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note we are happy to answer your questions but we do not accept applications by email. You will need to apply through the standard registration process.