Cryo/Biological Transmission Electron Microscopist
Sydney Microscopy & Microanalysis
- Opportunity to work with an outstanding team in one of the most exciting microscopy laboratories in the world
- Located at Camperdown Campus
- Full-time continuing appointment with a 106K p.a remuneration package, which includes leave loading and up to 17% super
About the opportunity
The Cryo/Biological Transmission Electron Microscopist will manage and maintain the cryo Transmission Electron (TEM) microscope and the cryo specimen preparation laboratory for the high-end cryo research projects at Sydney Microscopy & Microanalysis (SMM). The incumbent will provide expert technical support to researchers, focusing primarily on users’ needs in the areas of specimen preparation, cryo microscopy data collection and analysis and interpretation of images and data.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Cryo/Biological Transmission Electron Microscopist who possesses:
- a postgraduate degree in science, life sciences / structural biology or a relevant science field together with relevant work experience in cryo electron microscopy
- demonstrated experience and expertise in cryo transmission and/or cryo scanning electron microscopy
- the ability to ascertain methodological developments and the needs of users across cryo electron microscopy in addition to experience in the supervision, training and mentoring of users
- skills in advanced cryo electron microscopy techniques
- demonstrated experience in manual and/or automated image acquisition for single particle analysis and/or cryo-electron tomography
- experience in manual and/or automated vitrification
Advanced or high-level practical knowledge in 3D classification of macromolecular structures, 3D reconstructionand model refinement, sub-tomogram averaging and subcellular modelling is highly desirable.
Sydney Microscopy & Microanalysis (SMM) is the University’s largest core facility and provides specialist microscopy and microanalysis equipment and services within the multidisciplinary Australian Centre for Microscopy & Microanalysis (ACMM). SMM is one of the largest and most comprehensive facilities of its kind in the world. It provides access to world-class instruments, specialist staff, services and training to enable research into physical and biological structures at micro, nano and atomic scales. SMM is available to researchers from research institutions, government and industry.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth.We are Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staffwho support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change, which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the Position Description available on the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Closing date: 11.30pm Thursday 24th May 2018
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
©The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.