Assistant Professor Electrical Engineering
Assistant Professor Electrical Engineering
Location 62200 Putrajaya, MY
Organization Name Heriot Watt University Malaysia
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Sdn Bhd (HWUM) is a high quality university based in Putrajaya, Malaysia. HWUM is the second international campus of Heriot-Watt University ("HWU") which is a leading research-intensive UK university, specialising in science, technology, engineering, business, languages, textiles and design, with an international reputation for scientific and technological excellence. The University also has a campus in Dubai.
The University’s Malaysian campus currently has up to 1,800 students and has just opened a stunning new, eco-friendly, lakeside campus with a capacity of 4,000. It already offers a range of programmes including Foundation Programmes and Undergraduate programmes such as Business, Engineering, Construction, Actuarial Science and more. It also offers Postgraduate degrees in Energy, Petroleum Engineering, Construction, Business Psychology and Business. This portfolio will grow over the next few years as new programmes are launched.
With state-of-the-art learning resources and teaching spaces, the new Putrajaya campus was designed as a dynamic and stimulating place to study amidst a lakeside setting, boasting an exceptional range of facilities for student life. The campus houses a variety of informal study spaces, an extensive library and features easy access to IT facilities with wireless Internet connectivity throughout. Heriot-Watt University Malaysia employs the same UK-styled student-centred approach to learning, which means, students develop independence, self-discipline and analytical skills sought after by employers.
At HWUM, students have access to a British style and quality of education in Malaysia. Learning outcomes and standards are identical across all campuses which enables students to transfer between campuses.
HWUM is fully licensed by the Ministry of Higher Education and is officially recognised by the Malaysian Government as an Entry Point Project - contributing to the country's Economic Transformation Programme (ETP) - as part of a comprehensive effort that will transform Malaysia into a high-income nation by 2020.
In the first few years the postholders will have mainly teaching responsibilities but when the University is established it is expected that all academic staff will also engage in research and scholarship. There will be some opportunities for undertaking research from appointment but the University resources to support research will be limited.
The University is seeking to appoint a number of staff to teach Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering at the School of Engineering and Physical Sciences for both undergraduate and postgraduate level. The School of Engineering and Physical Sciences has an international research reputation and close connection with the professional and industrial world of science, engineering and technology.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia is seeking to recruit enthusiastic academics with experience of teaching and research in electrical engineering discipline. A successful candidate is expected to have a broad knowledge of a range of topics within the sphere of their chosen discipline, and an interest in research activities. He/she will also be expected to develop strong links to colleagues at the Scottish campuses to deliver high quality learning and teaching, to contribute to the continued development of the programmes offered to students, and to develop research in association with the Academic Schools in the UK.
The role will be based at the University's campus in Putrajaya, the administrative capital of Malaysia. Programmes will be delivered in English and so fluency in English is essential. An induction programme will be delivered to all new academic staff on Heriot-Watt's standards and values, and to give practical experience on preparation, delivery and assessment of teaching.
Key duties and responsibilities
1. Undertake teaching and assessment duties on academic programmes, in particular the areas of Electrical Engineering. Support colleagues in other Schools at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia in the delivery of courses and other activities to support the delivery of HWUM's aims.
2. Develop relevant materials in appropriate formats for the above programmes. Contribute to the content, design and delivery of the curriculum, and the quality of teaching and learning, in consultation with colleagues and within the international structures and mechanisms established by the University. Review teaching design and delivery by obtaining and analysing feedback from students and peers. Support the accreditation processes of the MQA and other professional bodies.
3. Mentor and supervise students, including PhD students, providing effective, well documented and timely feedback, both formative and summative. Provide pastoral support, recognising when to refer a student for further support. Play a key role in the delivery and support of an excellent student learning and living experience at HWUM.
4. Develop the level of subject expertise in line with latest development in research, and ensure these developments are reflected in teaching materials and methods.
5. Build and conduct research in one or more of the School's research areas at internationally competitive levels.
6. Develop and maintain strong links with business and industry, external organisations and the education sector.
7. Work collaboratively with colleagues in Malaysia, at other campuses, and with external networks both for the exchange of information, to share learning, and to form relationships for future collaboration.
8. Undertake a proactive role in promoting and marketing the University, ensuring the effective recruitment of students and the achievement of recruitment targets. Play a full role in Open Days and other student recruitment events.
9. Undertake leadership and administrative tasks associated with programme planning, preparation for examination boards and progression boards, etc, as instructed. Participate in relevant committees. Associate Professors will be expected to undertake additional leadership and management responsibilities.
10. Undertake continuous professional development (CPD) and participate in staff development activities.
All HWUM staff endeavours will embody our shared values of: Pursuing Excellence, Shaping the Future, Outward Looking, Pride and Belonging, and Valuing and Respecting Everyone.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post and its general responsibilities. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted to the iRecruit.
Applications must be submitted by 6 May 2018. If you are not contacted by the selection committee by 31 May 2018 then please assume that on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful.
The University is committed to equality of opportunity.