Assistant Professor - Mathematics
Assistant Professor - Mathematics
Location Dubai, AE
Organization Name School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences - Dubai Campus
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
The School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences has been teaching both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes at our Dubai Campus since it opened in 2005. In 2018 we plan to introduce the MSc Artificial Intelligence and the MSc Business Information Management. This continued expansion of our programmes has necessitated the recruitment of an additional academic staff member to deliver both mathematical and statistical courses to both undergraduate and postgraduate students. These courses will be delivered to the school’s computer science students and also to students from other schools particularly engineering students.
The post holder will join an established group of school academic staff at the Dubai Campus and we plan to expand our student numbers over the next five years.
We are expanding our Computer Science teaching at our Dubai campus and we require an additional Assistant Professor with a degree in mathematics and statistics to deliver courses in these fields to both undergraduate and postgraduate students. Ideally we would like this new position to be filled by the 1st August 2018, ready for the start of the 1st semester in September 2018. The Assistant Professor will develop, deliver and assess various undergraduate and postgraduate mathematical and statistics courses at the University’s Dubai Campus. In addition this position will require the undertaking of basic administrative duties, involvement in student recruitment activities and the supervision of postgraduate and undergraduate student projects and dissertations. The successful applicants will hold a PhD in Mathematics or a cognate discipline. Previous teaching experience is essential.
Key duties and responsibilities
The successful applicants will be responsible for:
- The delivery and assessment of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in mathematics and statistics subjects to students at the Dubai campus
- Supervision of both undergraduate and postgraduate projects and dissertations at the Dubai campus
- Student recruitment and admissions activities
- Administrative duties
Education, qualifications and experience
- PhD or equivalent in appropriate discipline.
- A track record of involvement in teaching university-level mathematics and statistics.
- Working knowledge of statistical software packages.
- Working knowledge of programming environments for statistics such as R.
- Ability to teach and supervise topics in a wide range of mathematical, statistical and other subjects.
- Excellent spoken, written and understanding of English.
- Relevant team-working and interpersonal skills
- The ability to work flexibly and carry out teaching activities in the evenings and weekends.
- Member of appropriate professional body.
- Teaching qualification or in the process of obtaining one.
- Experience of teaching in other areas such as computer science or study skills.
- A track record of publishing high quality mathematics research in internationally leading academic journals.
- Evidence of scholarship and/or research in mathematics and statistics and/or education.
- Experience of working at a British university or experience of delivering British university programmes in other countries.
- An ability to identify and develop opportunities for personal and collective research.
- The ability to take up the appointment in August 2018.
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 31st May 2018.
The appointment is conditional upon successful completion of all Labour and Immigration formalities, and the start date will need to be delayed if the employment visa is not in place.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.