Assistant/Associate Professor of Mathematics and STEM
Job Title: Assistant/Associate Professor of Mathematics and STEM
Reports to: Chair of the Department of Mathematics, ITCS and Sciences
Founded in 2006, the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit, nationally-accredited university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We are a dynamic university with a student population of over 1,000 students.
The Department of is seeking qualified candidates to fill the position of Assistant/Associate Professor of Mathematics and Business. Rank will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and the needs of the University. It would be expected that successful candidates begin work in the Fall 2018 Semester. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. The job is located in Kabul, Afghanistan.
This is a full-time, 9 month, non-tenure-track position, with a three-year renewable contract. Teaching responsibilities consist of developmental and university-level mathematics service courses, with exact course assignments depending on the area of specialty of the candidate. The candidate may also contribute to majors such as IT, Business and Social Sciences, including teaching at the graduate level if qualified.
- Teach four undergraduate or graduate courses (12 credits) per term, evaluating student work and assessing student learning outcomes.
- Hold regular office hours and work with individual students, acting as academic advisor and mentor.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Assist in curriculum review and development.
- Contribute service to the overall development of the university.
- Remain engaged in the field through research, scholarship, creative activities and/or other forms of professional engagement.
- Foster collegiality.
- Fulfill other duties as required.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline from an accredited university required; PhD degree in Mathematics preferred.
- Significant teaching experience in western higher education and evidence of excellence in university teaching.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Publications and/or other evidence of professional engagement.
- Experience teaching in international, multicultural, developing and/or post-conflict settings preferred.
- An additional preferred qualification is the ability to teach in other disciplinary or cross-disciplinary areas, including Business, IT, and/or the Social Sciences, using quantitative, computational and technological methods.
Benefits and Environment
This is an exceptional opportunity to work at a recently formed university in an emerging and rapidly changing society.
The American University of Afghanistan offers a generous benefits package that includes a competitive salary, air transportation, university-provided accommodation, and paid international health care insurance for international employees.
International faculty and staff live and work on AUAF’s 50-acre main campus or on the 5-acre campus across the street. The AUAF campuses utilize state-of-the art security infrastructure and protocols and are protected by a large professional security corps. Transportation between the adjacent campuses or to approved locations and the airport is by armored, guarded vehicles.
To apply, please send as a single PDF document: a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching purpose, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please include “Mathematics and STEM faculty position” in the subject line of the email.
AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy, and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the degree granting school directly to AUAF).