Research Associate in Galactic Astrophysics
The Jeremiah Horrocks Institute for Mathematics, Physics and Astronomy, of the University of Central Lancashire, is seeking to appoint a new RA - in Galactic Astrophysics using simulations and applied to Gaia data - funded by an STFC Consolidated Grant.
The successful candidate will join a vibrant Physics and Astronomy department. The Galactic archaeology and dynamics research team is led by Dr. Victor Debattista and includes a visiting fellow, and PhD and Masters students. Candidates will be able to demonstrate that they are able to conduct research in computational Galactic archaeology and ideally be able to exploit large datasets such as Gaia, Gaia-ESO and VVVX.
With demonstrable experience of research in Astrophysics, analysis of computer simulations and utilisation of a range of different research methodologies, the successful candidate will have a PhD in a relevant area of Astrophysics. Additionally, you must have a record of published research in high-impact journals and of utilising a range of research menthods. Essential requirements for success in role include the ability to work independently and as part of a team, a flexible and enthusiastic approach to work, knowledge of Unix and a high level of language such as Python, Fortran or C++.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
* Carry out world-class computational research that is related to the current area of Galactic Archaeology Research within the JHI, including running and analysing big complex simulations and comparing them to data from Gaia, Gaia-ESO and VVVX.
* Publish many research papers in high impact peer-reviewed journals.
* Fulfil the research goals in the area of Galactic Archaeology outlined in the STFC Consolidated Grant held by the JHI.
* Co-supervise PhD and Masters students.
* Present oral and poster contributions at UK and international conferences.
* Carry out other duties as required, such as research seminars, demonstrating or tutorial duties, and outreach activities.
For an informal discussion, or for any further information, applicants may contact Dr. Victor P. Debattista by email on email@example.com.
Applicants need to meet all essential criteria on the person specification to be considered for interview. This position is based in Preston.
Please apply online; if you cannot apply online please contact Human Resources on 01772 892324 and quote the reference number. CVs will not be considered unless accompanied by a completed application form.
School/Service: School of Physical Sciences & Computing
Hours: Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Basis: Fixed term contract from 01/10/2018 - 30/09/2021
Interview Date: To be confirmed