PhD position for novel synthesis approaches and manufacturing of membranes and electrodes ...
PhD position for novel synthesis approaches and manufacturing of membranes and electrodes for PEM electrolysis and fuel cells
Advertising institute: IEK-11 - Helmholtz Institute Erlangen-Nürnberg Renewable Energy Production
Reference number: 2018-119
The newly founded "Helmholtz-Institute Erlangen-Nuernberg for Renewable Energies" (HI ERN) is part of Forschungszentrum Juelich (FZJ) and works in close collaboration with the Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg (FAU) and the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin (HZB). The research in HI ERN is focused on the areas of innovative materials and processes for hydrogen technologies, photovoltaic energy and solar fuels, therefore covering novel approaches for the conversion and storage of CO2-neutral energy. More information about HI-ERN can be found at www.hi-ern.de.
We are offering a PhD position for novel synthesis approaches and manufacturing of membranes and electrodes for PEM electrolysis and fuel cells
The successful candidate will be part of the electrocatalytical interface engineering department of the HI ERN led by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Simon Thiele.
The department focuses on manufacturing, analysis and simulation of functional materials to find an optimum structure on small scales from the micrometer to the nanometer scale. The investigated materials and systems play an essential role in sustainable technologies like water- and CO2-electrolyzers, as well as in fuel cells. Furthermore their presence in nonaqueous electrochemical systems like electroorganic synthesis or batteries are decisive. We utilize internationally unique material and process characterization methods which are based on the sophisticated coupling of nano- and microtomographic techniques, additive manufacturing and advanced analysis methods. Thereby the aim is to significantly contribute to the development of electrochemical energy conversion as a future key player for electromobility and the energy policy in general.
The available PhD position is related to the following topics:
- Synthesis of nano particles / polymers
- Support of the development of novel manufacturing approaches for electrodes and membranes of fuel cells and electrolysers
- Electrochemical characterisation
- Excellent university degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or a relevant discipline
- Strong interest in pursuing research on electrochemical systems
- Previous experience in one (or more) of the following is desirable: Anorganic Chemistry (in particular nano particle synthesis), Physical Chemistry (in particular electrochemistry) or Polymerchemistry
- High motivation for pursuing a PhD within 3 years
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to show initiative and work independently
- Excellent cooperation and communication skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent skills in spoken and written English
- An excellent environment to perform sound, high-quality research at the international level
- Daily, hands-on experience in worldwide-unique electrochemical characterization techniques
- Excellent training in electrochemistry, fuel cells and electrolysis technology
- Possibility to participate on project meetings, as well as on national and international conferences to present the results and to develop further competences
- A lively scientific environment within the institute and possibilities for cooperation with excellent partners at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg, the Forschungszentrum Juelich, the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin and abroad
- Interaction and cooperation with world-leading industrial partners
- A comprehensive further training programme
- Strong support and mentoring for setting up a future career in science and/or the industry
- Limited position for 3 years
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (75% TVoeD EG 13).
Place of employment: Erlangen
Forschungszentrum Juelich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particulary welcomes applications from women.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application, preferably online via our online recruitment system on our career site until 22.05.2018, quoting the above-mentioned reference number.
Contact Human Resource Development and Recruiting
Tel.:+49 2461 61 9700