Assistant/Associate Research Professor in Traffic Engineering
Qatar Transportation and Traffic Safety Center (QTTSC)
Qatar University Profile
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education in the country and, consequently, enjoys the enthusiastic support of its government and citizens. With vibrant undergraduate and emerging graduate programs, the University offers the widest array of academic and community outreach programs and research related to national needs and priorities. Qatar University has an international faculty dedicated to the education of its 15,000+ students and, increasingly, to building strong graduate programs and research capabilities with emphasis on addressing national and regional needs and priorities. The University is located in Doha, Qatar, a vibrant modern city that welcomes visitors and residents from around the globe. Qatar University is based in Doha, Qatar, and the selected applicant is expected to be based there. Qatar University is a leading research institution in the Middle East, with 10 interdisciplinary research centers, over 133 research collaborations with leading institutions across the world.For more on Qatar University, please visit http://www.qu.edu.qa/ For more on Qatar Transportation and Traffic Safety Center, please visit http://qttsc.qu.edu.qa/ For more on Doha, Qatar, please visit http://www.qatartourism.gov.qa/
Established in 1980, the College of Engineering offers degree programs in the fields of Architectural, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial and Systems, Computer Science and Computer Engineering with the primary goal of preparing Qatari engineers with outstanding scientific and technical competencies to enable them to participate and contribute in the various aspects of the country.
Qatar Transportation and Traffic Safety Center (QTTSC)
QTTSC was established in 2012 as a research entity in the State of Qatar that provides guidance and consultation to improve the safety, efficiency and sustainability of transportation and traffic for Qatar with a global presence. It fulfills the role of the university to advance knowledge and contribute to the needs and aspiration of the society with regards to the field of transportation and traffic safety.
Duties & Responsibilities
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position Category: Academic
Employment Type: Full-time
Anticipated Starting date: August 2018
Position Term: 3 years (renewable)
The applicant is expected to (not limited to):
- Successfully conduct independent and collaborative research in areas related to traffic engineering, which is tailored to the needs of QTTSC, Qatar University and the State of Qatar.
- Support QTTSC activities in the area traffic engineering or related fields.
- Apply and secure external funding for research activities related to traffic engineering within the requirements of QTTSC
- Engage in outstanding scholarly activities leading to national, regional and international recognition.
- Promote partnerships and support collaboration with external organizations inside and outside Qatar.
- Conduct specialized workshops such as short courses or seminars on contemporary issues related to traffic engineering.
- Teach one course per academic semester.
- Supervise graduate (M.S.and Ph.D.) theses.
- Assist in preparing the lab budget, annual reports, and strategic plan.
- Assist in the acquisition and management of research equipment and infrastructure.
- Disseminate research results through internationally recognized peer reviewed high impact journals, educational programs and presentations.
Candidates must have doctorate degree (Ph.D.) in Civil Engineering or a closely related field from an internationally recognized university with an outstanding research profile in traffic engineering and must demonstrate:
- Evidence of active research, service and scholarly activities.
- Evidence of obtaining research grants from external stakeholders such as government agencies or industries.
- Record of strong peer-reviewed publication in high-impact journals.
- Research experience in one or more of the following areas: traffic engineering, urban traffic control and operation (including for connected and autonomous vehicles), modelling and simulation tools in service of development of traffic engineering, human factors in traffic engineering and enhancement in traffic safety.
- Experience in supervising research work of graduate and undergraduate students.
- Knowledge of current trends in the professional practices in the field.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Teaching experience at tertiary level
- Familiar with educational technologies used in higher education
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed.However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website ( https://careers.qu.edu.qa ) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QURecruitment Online website ( https://careers.qu.edu.qa )and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.