Instructor in the Arts - Interactive Media
INSTRUCTOR IN THE ARTS - Interactive Media
Arts and Humanities
NYU Abu Dhabi
The Arts and Humanities Division at New York University Abu Dhabi seeks to appoint an Instructor in the Arts. This is a full-time academic support position suited for someone eager to join the Arts programs within the Division with a primary focus on the burgeoning Interactive Media program. The Instructor in the Arts will be expected to provide key technical, academic, and administrative support for production-based courses and programming within the Interactive Media program. The position also entails direct support for the Interactive Media Lab Manager, and Interactive Media Program Head, as well as support for the day-to-day operations of the Interactive Media program spaces. Experience with fundamental Interactive Media core competencies, specifically programming, physical computing and multi-media production, is essential.
The Instructor will be expected to assume broad responsibilities within the Interactive Media program, including but not limited to supporting student and program-level project work, supporting the Interactive Media Lab Manager, contributing to both online and offline program communications, facilitating an optimal working environment for both students and faculty, running creative, technical and instructional workshops, maintaining lab equipment, training and managing Student Lab Monitors, supporting procurement processes, and developing safety training materials.
The principle responsibilities for this position include:
- Working directly with students to support the successful completion of class assignments and projects
- Providing academic support by conducting workshops and safety training seminars inside and outside of classes
- Supporting the Interactive Media Lab Manager by maintaining equipment, tools, and materials
- Working with Faculty and Support Staff to ensure that facilities are in functioning order for classes and open hours
- Training students, Student Lab Monitors, and others on the proper and safe use of Interactive Media equipment, tools, and materials
- Supporting events and special projects, specifically working with the Interactive Media Program Head, Lab Manager and Faculty to help produce program and Division events, talks, performances, screenings, exhibitions, and other special projects like the “End of Semester Showcase”
Additional responsibilities include:
- Working with Faculty, Staff and Students to understand teaching and production goals and to ensure the Interactive Media facilities are designed to meet those needs
- Actively working towards making the Interactive Media Lab and additional spaces safe and productive working environments
- Actively participating in facilities and other committee meetings as required
- Assisting the Interactive Media Lab Manager with
- general design, layout, and functionality of the Interactive Media facilities
- management of inventory, ordering of supplies, and coordination of deliveries
- ensuring the adequacy and availability of equipment, tools, materials, and electronic consumables
- scheduling and conducting maintenance of program equipment and tools
- supervising and coordinating equipment installations and service to the Interactive Media facilities
- Providing comprehensive Student Lab Monitor support, i.e. help recruit, train, schedule, and supervise student employees
- Ensuring that the Interactive Media Lab is open for posted hours and monitored appropriately
- Assessing safety and security issues as well as maintaining knowledge of protocols and regulations to ensure compliance with government and University health and safety regulations (e.g. OSHA, EPA, etc);
- Providing logistical, technical, and safety support for off-campus activities, including field trips, location-based screenings, performances, installations, and other program activities.
All candidates must have the following:
- Professional work and/or related experience in a university and/or equivalent setting providing instructional support for college-level students
- Proven interpersonal, organizational, written and oral communications skills
- An ability to exercise astute judgment, to take initiative, and to collaborate well with others
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in a related or relevant field.
- An interest in actively contributing to the Interactive Media curriculum and community
Preferred candidates will have the following:
- Professional experience in a production oriented digital fabrication facility
- Strong production, technical and/or fabrication skills, including a mastery of contemporary digital fabrication technologies and tools like 3d printers and laser cutters as well as physical computing processes
- Strong programming skills across multiple languages
- A Master’s Degree in a related or relevant field
- First-aid certification and OSHA training
Applications are due no later than April 22, 2018. The terms of employment are competitive and include housing and educational subsidies for children. Underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Note, some evening and weekend hours are required.
Applications will be accepted immediately and candidates will be considered until the position is filled. To be considered, all applicants must submit a cover letter and a curriculum vitae in PDF format through the NYUAD online application portal, accessible here: https://apply.interfolio.com/49765
Please visit http://nyuad.nyu.edu/about/careers.html for instructions and information on how to apply. If you have any questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply.