Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Environmental Science
Macquarie is the university of pioneering minds. Globally recognised as one of Australia's leading research universities, Macquarie is a place where extraordinary new possibilities come to light. We've helped people to hear, introduced wireless internet technology to the world and broken through traditional boundaries by appointing Australia's first female vice-chancellor.
At Macquarie you'll join a vibrant community of diverse perspectives, all working towards a brighter future for our communities and our planet. Surrounded by beautiful parkland campus, our students and staff are free to explore and discover, supported by facilities including a high-tech library, private teaching hospital, gym and pools, childcare facilities, a campus train station and the newly expanded Macquarie Centre shopping complex next door.
In Macquarie's Faculty of Science and Engineering you'll join passionate researchers and educators blazing new trails in the spirit of discovery and exploration. Encouraged to think boldly, and supported by some of Australia's most outstanding facilities, brilliant minds converge in our faculty to create incredible new possibilities: the world's first attempt to synthesize complex life, the creation of Wi-Fi, the discovery of dancing dwarf galaxies, and the development of blue LED light. Inspired by challenge and opportunity, we look forward to welcoming you as we imagine a new future together.
Join us and start seeing the world in a different light.
About the Department
We are amongst the leading institutions in Australia in environmental sciences. In the Department of Environmental Sciences our research program covers:
- Catchments, rivers, wetlands and coasts
- Climate and palaeoenvironmental sciences
- Energy technologies
- Environmental contaminants
Our dynamic and dedicated academics and research students study and teach the interactions between the physical, biological and human environments. With the integrated use of fieldwork, laboratory work and spatial information science, our research and teaching programs provide a firm base in all scientific aspects of the environment, alongside an understanding of environmental management. We produce work-ready graduates and have significant external impact and engagement with government, industry and community, both in Australia and internationally.
A Lecturer or Senior Lecturer is required to convene ENVS829 Pollution Control and Waste Management and contribute to the teaching of following subjects: ENVS338 Environmental Impact Assessment, and ENVS807 Environmental Measurement and Analysis.
To be successful in this position the successful candidate will demonstrate:
- a strong track record of teaching across relevant disciplines
- a strong research track record in the area of contaminant science as evidenced by research publications and research grants and research student supervision
To be considered for this position applications must respond to the selection criteria below and attach as a separate document in the application process.
- A PhD in environmental sciences or a relevant discipline
- A strong track record of delivering high quality learning and teaching, involving the design, delivery and management of lectures, tutorials and assessment at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Capacity to attract and supervise Higher Degree Research students
- A track record as a productive member of a research team
- Demonstrated capacity for external research collaboration and to attract competitive funding
- Evidence of high quality publications in both national and international journals (relevant to the discipline)
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to relate to staff and students from all backgrounds and to represent the Department and Faculty to external stakeholders and the general public
- Evidence of interdisciplinary research collaboration
- Demonstrated innovations in teaching
Additional Selection Criteria for appointment at Level C
- An established research record in environmental sciences
- Demonstrated success in teaching and curriculum development
- Proven track record of interdisciplinary research
Salary Package: from $99,879 to 118,174 p.a. (Level B), or $121,953 to $140,246 p.a. (Level C), plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading. The appointment will be commensurate with experience.
Appointment Type: Full-time fixed term position until 31 December 2018
Specific Role Enquiries: Professor Neil Saintilan on email@example.com or +61 2 9850 8422
General Recruitment Enquiries: Diane Abinoja on firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Closing date: Friday, 27 April at 11:55pm AEST
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.