Laboratory and Technical Support Advisor
- Be at the forefront of science in the Tropics
- Work alongside world leading scientists
- Great opportunity to have work / life balance in Tropical North Queensland
We offer an exciting opportunity for a Laboratory & Technical Support Advisor to join our world-leading institution at James Cook University (JCU). A continuing appointment, this position is based at the Cairns campus in picturesque tropical north Queensland, where you can enjoy a laid back tropical lifestyle whilst still achieving your career goals.
About the position
Reporting to the Manager, Laboratory & Technical Support you will provide technical support and advice to staff and students, manage teaching and research Laboratories, ensure maintenance of infrastructure and chemical stock levels are at a standard to ensure the efficient operation of undergraduate practical classes and ensure workplace health and safety protocols are adhered to.
- Provide technical support for undergraduate classes, postgraduate research projects, intensives, field trips, and workshops;
- Supervise and maintain safety compliance within teaching and research laboratories by conducting laboratory inductions and maintaining an induction register for all users including, staff, students and visitors;
- Plan, prepare for, and oversee all field excursions as required, maintain a technician’s manual for the laboratory and complete risk assessments as required.
As someone with demonstrated experience in standard laboratory techniques you must have familiarity with the equipment and methods utilised in laboratories and can provide instructional advice on the safe use of equipment and ensure all Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) protocols are adhered to.
You will also:
- excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with a diverse range of stakeholders,
- Demonstrated understanding of HSE legislation and practical application within a laboratory environment.
About the Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
The Division of Tropical Environments and Societies recognises the grand challenges facing the world today and the particular role that will be played out in the tropics. Here more than anywhere else environments and societies will see dramatic change in population growth, loss of biodiversity, and an apparent need for food production and security. The Division of Tropical Environments and Societies is uniquely positioned to deliver excellence across teaching, learning and research in these areas.
Consistently voted in the top 2% of universities worldwide, JCU offers a culturally diverse working environment with opportunities for professional and personal growth as well as diverse career opportunities. JCU prides itself on being dedicated to teaching, learning and research that is not only of high quality, but also delivers practical benefits to the peoples and industries of the region.
- generous superannuation scheme with 17% employer contributions
- five weeks’ annual recreation leave
- flexible working arrangements
- attractive options for salary packaging
- Fully accredited courses
- Enthusiastic, committed and talented staff
- Balance of work and life so you can enjoy a relaxed lifestyle that supports a diverse range of leisure and sporting interests.
Click on "apply now" to be taken to the JCU careers page where you can find further information, download the position description and further instructions on how to apply.
Vacancy Numbers: 16359
Applications close: 26 April 2018