Basic Medical Science Department
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
It has been proven that excellence in teaching and effective research are inextricably interrelated in today’s academic world, and that innovation in programs and classrooms is constantly enriched by those faculty members actively engaging in research. Like in most modern Universities around the world, one of Qatar University's strategic aims is to develop and enhance research that meets its standards of excellence. Our Office is responsible for providing administrative, secretarial, and executive support for all elements of the University's research activities. The Office also manages the University's internal research funding schemes, and all aspects (other than financial) of external grants and research agreements.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs on-site regulatory/policy compliance reviews of facilities to be used for biohazardous agent manipulations; inspects, assesses, and reports on suitability for use, and interfaces with lab personnel, investigators, and others as needed to ensure follow up and correction of problems.
- Conducts research and review of Federal, State, and local regulations pertaining to the handling, disposition, and use of recombinant DNA molecules, microbial animal and human pathogens, and biotoxins in research.
- Initiates and conducts literature and internet research to obtain scientific information related to specific microorganisms, recombinant DNA molecules, and biotoxins.
- Develops and maintains databases of information related to biohazardous materials holdings around the University; maintains records of Institutional Biosafety Committee approvals for usage of biohazardous materials.
- Develops and maintains confidential files of information related to UNM Select Agent holdings and legal filings in reference to regulatory compliance with the US Patriot Act.(Preferred)
- Conducts risk-based inspections of BSL1 and 2 laboratory and animal facilities (biomedical facilities utilizing moderate level microbial pathogens).
- Conducts routine inspections of BSL3 laboratory and animal facilities (biomedical facilities utilizing high level microbial pathogens, biotoxins, and Select Agents).
- Coordinates the development and preparation of content for the Institutional Biosafety Committee web page; develops and prepares content of biosafety training modules.
- Provides guidance and assistance to investigators with respect to institutional and regulatory filings related to biosafety.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Current knowledge and understanding of State, and local laws, regulations, and standards for the disposition and use of biohazardous agents in biomedical laboratory and animal research facilities.
- Ability to work independently and to organize and prioritize work assignments.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Working knowledge of biomedical laboratory methods, procedures, techniques, facilities, and equipment.
- Knowledge of recombinant DNA, microbial animal and human pathogens, and biotoxins.
- Skill in examining and evaluating operations and developing and/or re-engineering operating strategies, systems, and procedures.
- Database and records management skills.
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical personnel.
- Investigative and problem solving skills.
- Ability to utilize computerized word processing and internet software.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Knowledge of information and bibliographic research principles, methods, and techniques.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively work with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
- Bachelor's degree in Microbiology or Biomedical Sciences; at least 3 years of laboratory experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- A Master’s degree in biomedical sciences may be substituted for up to 2 years of laboratory experience
- Curriculum Vitea with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.