Linux System Administrator
- Classification: ANU Officer Grade 7 (IT)
- Salary package: $85,023 - $89,370 pa plus superannuation
- Terms: Full time, Continuing Contingent Funded contract
National Computational Infrastructure (NCI) is Australia’s leading national provider of high-end computational and data-intensive services, with a well-respected reputation for its services, expertise and innovation. NCI is an operating unit of the Australian National University and is built on and sustained by a formal collaboration of national research organisations, ANU, CSIRO, Bureau of Meteorology, Geoscience Australia, other research-intensive universities and eResearch support organisations nationally. NCI engages in a dynamic range of projects across a number of areas that focus on Development and Innovation.
The activities span a range of HPC developments that require both a well-developed understanding of advanced and commodity ICT technology and scientific computing environments – particularly within the earth system and geospatial sciences.
The successful applicant will enable complex scientific workflows across domains such as Climate, Weather and Earth Observation Systems, Geosciences, Astronomy and other nationally significant research areas.
Skills & Experience:
- Sysadmin experience in Linux environments (RHEL, Centos);
- Expertise with automated systems configuration management (Puppet);
- Proficient with one or more scripting languages (Bash, Python);
- Expertise provisioning and deploying services on cloud platforms;
- Experience with monitoring and centralised logging;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- A willingness to dive deep into third party, scientific domain specific software packages.
- Experience with any of the following would be viewed favourably: OpenStack, AWS, Tomcat, Java, Apache, ElasticSearch, Kibana, Postgres, C, C++, Go (golang), Nagios, Ansible, Ruby, CI/CD;
- General programming experience -- while this is not a development role opportunities within that space exist for the right individual, plus code review and debugging skills will be generally valuable;
- Experience working in a research environment, particularly one of the fields listed above.
For further information please contact:
Closing date: 25 April 2018
Position description: Linux System Administrator - PD.pdf
The University actively encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. For more information on employment opportunities, contact our Indigenous Employment Consultant on firstname.lastname@example.org
ANU values diversity and inclusion and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to those of all backgrounds and identities.
For more information about staff equity at ANU, visit https://services.anu.edu.au/human-resources/respect-inclusion
Application information In order to apply for this role please make sure that you upload the following documents:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) which includes the names and contact details of at least three referees (preferably including a current or previous supervisor). If your CV does not include referees you can complete these online when prompted in the application form.
- Other documents, if required.
Applications which do not address the selection criteria may not be considered for the position.
Please note: The successful applicant must have rights to live and work in this country.