Postdoctoral Research Associate in Ecology, Evolution and Environment Sciences
School of Life and Environmental Sciences
Faculty of Science
- Research position focused on evolutionary biology, genomics, and physiology at the University of Sydney
- Full-time, 2 Years Fixed-Term.
- Academic Level A, Base Salary: $90,276 p.a. plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation. Visa sponsorship is available if required.
About the opportunity
Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to join our research team working on a project investigating the evolution of viviparity and the placenta across vertebrates. We are a friendly, supportive, and hardworking research group. We encourage lab members to get involved in our collaborative research projects with scientists from across Australia, Europe, South America, and the USA. We also encourage active involvement in lab and departmental activities, and attendance at conferences.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence and are seeking to recruit a Postdoctoral Associate within the School of Life and Environmental Sciences, who will be responsible for:
- Contributing to our research programme investigating the evolution of viviparity and the placenta across vertebrates;
- Planning and executing experiments, including developing new research methods, preparing applications for animal ethics approval, and occasionally carrying out field work within Australia as required to meet the aims of the research programme
- Generating, managing and analysing large sets of genomic, transcriptomic and proteomic data;
- Co-supervising and training undergraduate and higher degree by research students in areas related to the research programme;
- Preparing the results of the research for publication in high quality journals
We are looking for a highly motivated Postdoctoral Research Associate with a PhD in genetics and genomics, physiology, evolutionary biology, bioinformatics, or related disciplines. In addition, evidence of publication of research in high quality, peer-reviewed journals is required.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 579/0318F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm 02 May 2018 (Sydney Time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
If we think your skills are needed in other areas of the University, we will be sure to contact you about other opportunities.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.