Post-Doctoral / Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher (mmWave Systems)
- Full Time
Applications are invited for a 2-year Post-Doctoral research position in the field of radio architectures in the Department of Electronic Engineering, Maynooth University with particularly interest in mmWave systems (14 – 86 GHz). The successful applicant will be joining the research group led by Prof. Ronan Farrell, and the research aims to explore new radio transceivers and applications in the mmWave frequency band for 5G and other use-cases. The specific focus will be on developing experimental testbeds, passive filters, antennas, power amplifiers and other high frequency components.
The work will be undertaken in the context of the SFI CONNECT Centre for the Internet of Things and the successful applicant will need to play a key role in the development of relationships with our industrial partners as well as help drive the research agenda.
The successful candidate will be expected to participate in the activities of the research institute, help set and deliver on a research agenda, support collaboration on our projects and mentor and assist the research projects of students where possible.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in the design of physical layer radio transceivers bringing a systems perspective from either a signal processing background or that of circuit design. The candidate should be capable of independent research with a structured approach to reporting and achieving goals. The candidate will be expected to supervise undergraduate and postgraduate researchers, particularly to newly recruited PhD students. The group has a strong experimental background, so the ideal candidate should be able contribute with their technical skills in the design, execute and analysis of experiments.
Applicants would benefit from having obtained a PhD in a relevant discipline, however relevant industrial experience is both an acceptable alternative and highly desirable.
- Experience with mmWave systems (in excess of 10 GHz), system level design, including signal and noise budgeting;
- Experience in the area of wideband transceiver design using modern waveforms and architectures (e.g. distributed transceivers, M-MIMO, collaborative antennas, etc.)
- Deep knowledge in one or more of the following areas: RF design, communication theory, digital signal processing for RF comms.
- Strong experimental skills in measuring mmWave systems
- Excellent communication skills and fluent in English.
- Experience of ADS or equivalent RF modelling software;
- Experience of Labview.