AIE Institute seeks expressions of interest for the position of Academic Director of the AIE Institute, a specialist higher education service provider for the Computer Games Industry. The Academic Director is responsible for ensuring the quality of the courses and academic outcomes, including achieving high levels of student satisfaction and benchmarking performance.
Initially, the Academic Director will lead part of a working group responsible for the registration and course accreditation application for the AIE Institute. The role reports directly to the CEO on personnel and operational matters, and the AIE Institute Ltd Board of Directors regarding long term outcomes. This is a full-time position based in Canberra or Sydney.
Once established, the Academic Directorleads the strategic focus on teaching and learning and fosters a culture of scholarship amongst the academic team and is responsible for management of academic and support staff. The Academic Director collaborates with academic staff to implement curricula that meet the Threshold Standards 2015 under the Higher Education Standards Framework and professional accreditation standards. Key deliverables on financial viability, marketing targets and strategic operations require effective liaison with other management personnel. This position also has responsibility for quality assurance and academic administration duties. This will include reviews of curricula, implementation and review of policies and procedures and general academic administration duties such as moderation of assessment and other essential processes.The successful applicant will be responsible for developing a student-centric approach and leading events such as student orientation and staff professional development days. The Academic Director has teaching responsibilities that will include leading scholarly approaches to the delivery of courses and innovative teaching and learning pedagogies.
The Academic Directorchairs the Teaching and Learning Committee and holds membership on the Course Advisory Committee and Academic Board.
AIE Institute Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Academy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE), Australia's most awarded 3D animation, game design and visual FX educator. Created as a non-profit organisation to grow the creative digital sector, AIE pioneered the development of specialist game qualifications and continues to innovate through industry partnerships and dynamic teaching.
AIE courses are practical, career-focused and delivered by industry experienced teachers in a seriously fun and creatively-demanding studio environment. AIE and its graduates have won many awards over the years including being named the Australian Small Training Provider of the Year in2016 and 2007.
Whilst currently operating in the Vocational Education environment, AIE seeks to become a dual-sector provider to deliver higher education programs. The newly created AIE Institute Ltd will deliver industry focused degree courses.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Leadership and Strategic Management
- Implement high quality courses and maintain integrity of course delivery
- Lead curriculum development and review activities, including benchmarking
- Mentor and develop a program for academic staff to ensure they are committed to scholarship, free intellectual inquiry, academic quality and integrity
- Lead the implementation of the Teaching and Learning Plan and achieve key deliverables
- Lead assessment moderation activities
- Implement and maintain a quality management system to ensure continuous improvement of courses, student outcomes, policies and procedures
- Implement and monitor student surveys
- Ensure compliance with the Threshold Standards 2015, ESOS Act and other regulatory requirements
- Manage and meet strategic objectives
- Manage recruitment, induction, performance review and professional development of academic and support staff
- Liaise with management and support staff to achieve effective administrative processes and student activities
Teaching and Learning
- Chair the Teaching and Learning Committee and participate in other governance committees
- Prepare and deliver lectures, tutorials and practicals
- Undertake assessment and marking of undergraduate units
- Prepare, review and develop new learning materials applying scholarship in the discipline area and teaching and learning
- Provide high quality support and assistance to students and be available for student consultation
- Provide support to the CEO as required
- Undertake scholarly activities relating to the discipline area, and teaching and learning to maintain currency
- Publish scholarly papers in both academic peer-reviewed journals and professional journals, and submit papers for relevant conferences
- Work with colleagues to collaborate on joint scholarly activities
Service and Engagement
- Service on academic committees as required
- Manage and attend staff meetings, committee meetings, and any other meetings as required
- Undertake administrative functions as required
- Foster and lead relations with industry and professional associations
- Any other duties as reasonably requested
All staff are to be aware of and comply with:
- Staff Code of Conduct
- Policies and Procedures
- Work Health and Safety Act 2011
- Fair Work Act (2009) (Commonwealth)
Selection Criteria Essential
- PhD in the computer game development discipline area or closely related field
- Significant experience in academic management
- Proven track record of publishing in peer reviewed journals, professional journals, and research in a related discipline
- Substantial experience in developing and implementing quality curriculum at undergraduate level
- Experience in meeting professional accreditation requirements
- Demonstrated knowledge ofcurrent teaching and learning approaches
- Proven ability to provide high quality teaching at undergraduate level, with a sound understanding of current issues in the discipline area
- Demonstrated ability to work in a cross-disciplinary team
- Experience in managing academic administration and leading astudent-centric culture
- Proven track record in establishing and maintaining external relationships with industry or professional associations
- Demonstrated ability lead and coordinate academic teams
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Postgraduate qualification in teaching and learning
- Experience in various modes of teaching delivery, particularly online
- Experience in curriculum design and review
- Membership of a relevant professional body
- Relevant industry experience or industry networks
- Experience in serving on governance committees
Interview Assessment Process
- Applicants will be expected to give a short lecture presentation
- Appointment is subject to verification of qualifications and experience
To apply, please forward your covering letter addressing the selection criteria, together with a copy of your Curriculum Vitae to email@example.com. Please state your salary expectation when applying for the role.
Apply for Academic Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly