Manager, Client Services and Communication
The Manager, Client Services and Communication leads and manages front line student enquiry and service delivery operations strategic conversion activities and student communication strategies across the Townsville and Cairns campuses. The incumbent provides high level advice internally within Student Services Directorate and to key senior managers; manages process improvement initiatives and ensures student communications strategies are clear, consistent and timely.
Division of Academic and Student Life
The Division of Academic and Student Life is responsible for the overall strategy in relation to learning and teaching, academic quality, student services, careers and counselling, equity and library and information services at JCU. The Division plays a critical role in working with and across the Colleges and Divisions at JCU and also works in collaboration with the Office of the Senior Deputy-Vice Chancellor in driving and meeting the University’s objectives and Strategic Intent. The Division of Academic and Student Life oversees a large component of the student experience within James Cook University.
The Division includes the Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement Directorate, Library and Information Services Directorate, and the Student Services Directorate.
Student Services Directorate
The Student Services Directorate provides academic, administrative and student support services to the University community and is responsible for a large component of the non-academic domestic and international student experience at JCU. The Directorate plays a pivotal role in relation to the student experience, the ability of the University to meet its enrolment and financial targets and the reputation of the University.
James Cook University
Division of Academic and Student Life
Student Services Directorate
- Lead and manage front line Client Services and Communication operations on the Townsville and Cairns campuses to prospective and current students, staff and the general public, including strategic and operational planning, continuous process review and improvement, and quality assurance processes to ensure consistency, cross unit collaborations and high quality client focused service delivery.
- Drive student enquiry and conversion performance and quality by developing, reviewing and monitoring key performance indicators, operational objectives and service standards for the Client Services and Communication team, including developing annual operational plans and providing high level analysis and reporting against objectives.
- Plan, implement and manage peak period service delivery including ensuring appropriate human and financial resourcing needs are maintained within the student centres to maximise the effectiveness of service during peak times and ensure a smooth transition for new students.
- Develop and lead the implementation of conversion strategies for domestic and international coursework students to maximise the number of prospective students converting to enrolled students.
- Provide high level strategic advice within the Student Services Directorate and to key stakeholders and JCU Managers on student enquiries, conversions and student communication strategies, contribute to the review and development of Student Services policies, procedures and systems.
- Lead the Student Services communications strategy, seeking innovative channels for ensuring communications with students are effective, accurate, and timely and ensures a clear, consistent, credible message that avoids misinterpretation.
- Maintain effective and collaborative networks with colleagues and Australian University’s utilising networking opportunities to keep abreast of best practice in handling student enquiries and conversion and student centre management.
- Provide effective leadership, management and decision making within the Client Services and Communication team, including performance reviews to ensure a culture of high performance, customer service, teamwork and innovation.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff. Your specific level descriptor can be found at:
Professional and Technical
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Manager, Client Services and Communication is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Manager, Client Services and Communication is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Manager, Client Services and Communication is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
- It is a requirement of this position to travel between campus locations on a regular basis.
Selection and appointments will be assessed against selection criteria.
- Postgraduate qualification and extensive relevant experience; or extensive experience and management expertise; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality client service with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated high level written and oral communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills, and proven problem solving skills with the ability to exercise sound judgement.
- Demonstrated ability to manage financial and human resources, including the ability to lead, motivate and manage a diverse team of multifunctional staff across locations.
- Demonstrated success in project management, specifically the ability to leverage IT systems to improve business practices and process.
- Proven ability to develop and interpret complex policies, procedures and systems.
- Experience in the higher education sector, preferably with knowledge of student services.