Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
College of Pharmacy
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility.
The College of Pharmacy is the first and only pharmacy degree program in the State of Qatar. The College offers 5-years BSc (Pharmacy), Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) and 2-years MSc (Pharm) degree programs. Our program is the first international program to be accredited by the Canadian Council for Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs (CCAPP) and partners with local and international education and health care institutions to support its academic and research mandates. As a lead College and the first of its kind in this country, we are undergoing constant change as we strive to achieve excellence while meeting our mandate, to provide its graduates with the knowledge and skills necessary to become competent pharmacists, to meet the health care needs of this society. The vision of the College is to be the leading pharmacy college in the Middle East region,
The College of Pharmacy, Qatar University invites applicants for a full time Associate Dean for Academic Affairs position beginning August 2018. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs the Office of the AD-AA at the College of Pharmacy;
- Oversees the design, co-ordination, execution, evaluation and refinement of the study plan for all pharmacy degree programs in accordance with accreditation requirements;
- Works with other Colleges and departments on pre-pharmacy course requirements, design, assessment and scheduling;
- Oversees pharmacy graduate study plans in conjunction with the head of graduate studies and PharmD director
- Leads all activities regarding the development and delivery of undergraduate study program at the college on behalf of the Dean.
- Collaborates extensively with other academic and administrative administrators within the context of QU Health;
- Works with the Business Services functions in QU Health and central QU administration to ensure financial, space and other operational support required for the College;
- Involved in initiating joint degree programs (i.e. Entry to PharmD/MBA) and elective courses (e.g: veterinary medicine, pharmaceutical industry, etc…);
- Implements and monitors, with faculty support, the semester pharmacy and non-pharmacy course assessment process including the student course and instructor evaluations process for pharmacy courses;
- Oversees the semester course co-ordination and teaching assignment assessment process to ensure a balanced load across faculty members;
- Oversees the assessment and mapping of student learning outcomes and competencies in accordance with accreditation requirements;
- On behalf of the Dean, serves as liaison for the College of pharmacy to various internal and external offices and agencies;
- Leads, organize and coordinate the process for accreditation and quality assurance, including the continuous engagement of leading international experts;
- Co-Coordinates the administrative process of promotion and appointments for faculty.
- Designs and facilitates the faculty recruitment and development in co-ordination with department heads;
- Advises the Dean on administrative matters as well as mission-related program development issues;
- Works co-operatively with assistant dean of student affairs and course coordinators to design, implement and evaluate remediation programs aimed at students who are not progressing on schedule.
- Works with the Dean and associated committees to develop a strategic academic plan to support the continued enhancement of the teaching and learning environment;
- Establishes relationships with other faculty within Qatar University and other institutions to promote development and assessment of the academic program;
- Implements a routine assessment of alumni and employers to provide feedback for curriculum planning in coordination with assistant dean of student affairs;
- Develops college-level curricular policies and procedures as needed to complement university policies and procedures;
- Advises faculty members and adjunct faculty on university and college-level and guidelines and college policies and procedures for course co-ordination and teaching within the College of Pharmacy;
- Promotes the establishment and development of any “Centers of Academic Excellence within the College;
- Oversees internal seminars and workshops on teaching and learning enhancement;
- Organizes university-wide seminars and symposiums to promote teaching collaborations with the College of Pharmacy;
- Serves on the Dean’s Advisory Committee of the College;
- Serves as the Chair (appointed by the Dean) of the Curriculum Committee;
- Serves as a member (Dean’s representative) on the Teaching and Learning Enhancement Committee;
- Serves on national professional and/or scientific associations as appropriate;
- Serves as a mentor for the junior faculty who need assistance to develop their own course management and teaching skills;
- Interpret, initiate and coordinate goals for National hires and provide regular reports on progress to College of Pharmacy leadership;
- Ensures and maintains compliance of all academic programs with governance requirements of the College and the University;
- Provides consultation to departmental management on faculty issues and concerns;
- Oversees the relevant budget for this position;
- Assures compliance with safety programs;
- Maintains an active personal scholarship program including seeking extramural funding, peer-reviewed publication and presentation in accordance with the QU Faculty Handbook guidelines for academic staff;
- Co-ordinates and teaches in assigned courses;
- Serves on other College and Institutional committees as appropriate;
- Writing reports for internal purposes (self study and annual reports and for accreditation purposes
- Oversees assessment and PLOA committees
- Oversees faculty contract renewal in collaboration with department heads
- Oversees and implement curricular changes and delivery.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean.
- Supervises staff within the Office of the AD-AA to facilitate the delivery of the curriculum. Responsibilities include assigning work, evaluating performance, and rewarding or disciplining employees who report directly to the AD-AA.
Experience and Education:
- Has an earned professional and/or graduate degree in a pharmacy specialty.
- Has at least seven years of relevant academic research experience with at least two years in an administrative academic position.
- Has documented accomplishments in teaching, research and service at a level to be appointed as an associate/ professor in one of the academic sections of the College of Pharmacy.
- Bilingual (Arabic/English) skills preferred but not mandatory. Excellent English written and verbal communication skills. Ability to read analyses and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common communications from other organizations, colleges, faculty, staff, students, members of the profession of pharmacy, and other business or academic entities.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to individuals at all levels, ranging from high school children to members of the board of directors.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions to solve problems and plan initiatives.
- Significant experience in academic leadership roles at recognized pharmacy schools is required.
- Demonstrated experience in leading quality assurance processes and obtaining accreditation from leading international bodies.
- Some experience in health care management is necessary.
- Demonstrated ethical behavior, professionalism, interpersonal skills, leadership and management abilities sufficient to effectively direct and develop faculty members and support staff.
- Knowledge of current professional trends in pharmaceutical and clinical training and general knowledge of current trends in the professional practices of the health care system.
- Effective interactions with other Colleges and departments within the Qatar University and with other agencies and institutions with which College faculty members will collaborate.
- Familiarity with Canadian Council for Accreditation Program accreditation standards and guidelines.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Letter of interest
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
Applicants should apply online via the Qatar University Jobs website (www.qu.edu.qa).